S-10 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2001 Red Xtreme, 4.3, standard cab, the whole she-bang...automatic and 3.42 posi rear end. Sportside, black stripe package. ANYWAYS, the spec sheet on this truck is 16.2 in a 1/4 Mile. WHY in the hell does the 3.8 Camaro's do 15.7 in a 1/4 Mile, what is up with that? The 4.3 has 20 more lbs of torque, but it has 180 HP where as the 3.8 has 200 HP. Now I KNOW that 20 more horses isnt gonna make a half second difference. I mean these new 4.3's should be bad ass and run at least a 15.5 in a 1/4 mile. This just doesnt make sense, its stupid and agravating. Please some people help me out here. Why is the 4.3 so damn slow

·
Ahhhhhhhhh Satisfying!!!
5,174 Posts
It is a truck, with an automatic........no traction+automatic tranny= not the fastest vehicle in the world....

Caleb

·
Registered
389 Posts
cheer up it could be worse you could have a ford, you can get it faster. But if you wanna race I got a 2.2 5 speed? I run mid to high 14's now.

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
there was a guy at the track wtih a 2.2 and 100 shot of nos, pullies, header, full exhaust from motor all the way back, tb spacer, generation II , zexel posi, ignition didnt have ac on his truck no rear tailgate or bumper or spare tire and on street tires ran a 15.3 he said slicks he runs 14.8-14.9s, ill try to get the time slip he was on the lane next to me we raced against eachother. i posted it a while ago. [email protected] IS HIS SCREEN NAME

·
Registered
389 Posts
98 SS ON NOS said:
there was a guy at the track wtih a 2.2 and 100 shot of nos, pullies, header, full exhaust from motor all the way back, tb spacer, generation II , zexel posi, ignition didnt have ac on his truck no rear tailgate or bumper or spare tire and on street tires ran a 15.3 he said slicks he runs 14.8-14.9s, ill try to get the time slip he was on the lane next to me we raced against eachother. i posted it a while ago. [email protected] IS HIS SCREEN NAME
He would probably get better times if he closed off his exhaust. When you open it up that much you lose alot of torque. Just an idea. I also don't know how big he went with it.

·
Registered
6,374 Posts
the extra power is a lot from better fuel injection and a free flowing exhaust... the weight distrobution of a camaro isa lot better than that of the s-10 is going to be the biggest reason for the difference in times they can take off faster...

·
Resident Mechanic
365 Posts
kinda weird u say u loose hp from a free flowin exhaust, when i first had my exhaust done it seemed slower i got rid of the cat it became ALOT faster off line and in highend, it took the glasspack off cuz it was too loud and put on a flowmaster it slowed the truck back down BIG time in lowend and ALOT in highend, I took off the flowmaster and added headers with a gibson which u can see straight through the flowmaster u cant see any light through and the truck will spank the hell out of a modded v6 camaro with a 3.42 posi plus i have a 3.08 ONELEGGER so u tell me...... always been funny to me how people have told me that havin a free flowing exhaust will cause u to loose horsepower when its ALWAYS been one of the major performance parts on ALL cars and trucks ever since they were made, so i guess u also think that if u take a potato and jam it in the exhaust pipe it will add horsepower?:thumbup: make that ur next mod good luck with it:thumbup: im not tryin to be rude just look at a few dyno sheets from dif people as far as exhaust goes b4 assumming that a highflow exhaust will slow u down:rolleyes:

·
Registered
6,374 Posts
Fast98SS350 said:
kinda weird u say u loose hp from a free flowin exhaust, when i first had my exhaust done it seemed slower i got rid of the cat it became ALOT faster off line and in highend, it took the glasspack off cuz it was too loud and put on a flowmaster it slowed the truck back down BIG time in lowend and ALOT in highend, I took off the flowmaster and added headers with a gibson which u can see straight through the flowmaster u cant see any light through and the truck will spank the hell out of a modded v6 camaro with a 3.42 posi plus i have a 3.08 ONELEGGER so u tell me...... always been funny to me how people have told me that havin a free flowing exhaust will cause u to loose horsepower when its ALWAYS been one of the major performance parts on ALL cars and trucks ever since they were made, so i guess u also think that if u take a potato and jam it in the exhaust pipe it will add horsepower?:thumbup: make that ur next mod good luck with it:thumbup: im not tryin to be rude just look at a few dyno sheets from dif people as far as exhaust goes b4 assumming that a highflow exhaust will slow u down:rolleyes:
ummm i dont see anyone saying that it would slow you down i said the camaro has a better flowing exhaust which gives more power than a 4.3 *ShRuG* maybe yer just off on a rant :D

·
Resident Mechanic
365 Posts
Nope just replying to the remark about "closing" off the exhaust gives torque btw last time i check they said a stock 3.8 camaro with 3.42s ran a 16.2? where did u see 15's?

·
Registered
6,374 Posts
Fast98SS350 said:
Nope just replying to the remark about "closing" off the exhaust gives torque btw last time i check they said a stock 3.8 camaro with 3.42s ran a 16.2? where did u see 15's?
i wasnt the one that made the string ehehe i was just stating some facts as to wy they have more power inthat engine...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts