S-10 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 1999 s10 2wd(4.3/auto) and from my understanding I have 3.42 gears In the rear end. I like to do a lil racing but it's also my daily and I wanna lil more oomph (tired of getting my tail whipped by a 3.0 ranger?) I spin through second and was looking at getting 3.73s with posi Trac in hopes I could get rid of the spinning some without taking a massive mpg hit. I was also looking for ways to crank a tad more power out if anyone has ideas. I was thinking cold air and a 93 tune

·
Registered
1,385 Posts

Reactions: Mostizzle

·
Registered
336 Posts
You only have 190 HP and if your spinning through second it's not saying much for your tires. I'd work on traction, 3.73's are just going to throw more torque at it.

·
LS3 Cruisin'
2,046 Posts
You spin through second because you're actually just doing a 1 wheel peel, which is also why you are getting beat handily by anything else with 4 wheels including some ATVs...

Ask a local mechanic shop you trust to quote you to put a limited slip differential in the rear end for you. Preferably an Eaton Truetrac, although used good condition Torsen Zexel is also a good choice for less money.

Zexel ~$200
Eaton~$450

A R&P set for 3.73 is additional cost, as are new bearings and seals which are required. Keep in mind there would be mechanic shop markup on the parts, and labour is usually around the value of parts. So you should be looking in the 800-1200$ range for a shop to do it properly.

The 3.73's will mainly hurt your highway cruising mileage, not so much your around town mileage, use of the right foot hurts mileage more.
3.43's aren't that bad frankly for the stock 4.3's.

Better, slightly wider tires, would be good as well. Running 235 or 245 width will help a lot over 205 or 215.

Not using M&S all season all terrains also matters. A quality summer tire like a BFG Traction T/A is a great starting point with a 620 A B UTQG rating. A lower value generally denotes a softer stickier tire that won't last as long but gives better traction. BFG Sport Comp 2's for example are 320 AA A and a great performance tire, but they're hard as hockey pucks when cold and not the best for daily driving conditions and won't handle mud worth a damn.

·
Lifelong S-10 Owner
543 Posts
Try running a bigger rear tire with a Zexel and the 3.73 gears. I used a 255/60R15 on an 8.5x15 rim before going with a bigger 295/50R15 on a 10x15 rim. The bigger tire will stick out some if your lowered so you may want the 255 size. Look for an axle out of a 2.2 cylinder S-10 as they came factory with 3.73 and 4.10 gears from the factory.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts