S-10 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys.. I am new and this is my first post.I have a 94 2.2 plain jane that won't move due to some trans issue. I just bought a low mileage 98 4.3 that has quite a few options, and was rolled and doesn't have a straight piece of sheetmetal on it. I am going to change out the 4.3 for the 2.2. I have no interest in a V-8...A/C interests me more. I am basically doing this to keep from being bored over the winter...I rebuilt my Harley last winter. I plan to change motor/trans, everything under the hood,mounts/crossmembers, ALL wiring, computer,dash,gas-tank/fuel-pump,rear-end,cruse-control,electric door-locks ...everything. I would like to know if anyone would be interested in me documenting the whole ordeal with pictures, and posting them here...let me know what you think.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Hey guys.. I am new and this is my first post.I have a 94 2.2 plain jane that won't move due to some trans issue. I just bought a low mileage 98 4.3 that has quite a few options, and was rolled and doesn't have a straight piece of sheetmetal on it. I am going to change out the 4.3 for the 2.2. I have no interest in a V-8...A/C interests me more. I am basically doing this to keep from being bored over the winter...I rebuilt my Harley last winter. I plan to change motor/trans, everything under the hood,mounts/crossmembers, ALL wiring, computer,dash,gas-tank/fuel-pump,rear-end,cruse-control,electric door-locks ...everything. I would like to know if anyone would be interested in me documenting the whole ordeal with pictures, and posting them here...let me know what you think.

The way you worded it is very comfuseing. Your going to change out the 4.3 for a 2.2? Or your truck has the 2.2 and your going to swap in the 4.3?

·
Sold :'(
7,555 Posts
That's gonna be a hell of a project! It will be awesome, though- being all '98+ on the inside. Find some '97 Blazer headlights to top it all off. I, for one, would be interested in following a project thread.

·
Electrical Mod
56,116 Posts
I'm interested, although everything should be bolt on with the exception of the wiring harness. That's going to be your biggest obstacle as there's quite a few differences between 94 and 98. I eventually want to swap in a 4.3 into my truck, so I'll keep an eye on your progress.

·
It's "Neanderthal"
5,411 Posts
Absolutely. Post as many pics as you can too.

·
Bold as Love
1,869 Posts
I see trucks like yours, early 2nd Generations with blown or immobile 4-cylinders, constantly on Craigslist for cheap.

4.3 drivetrains are dime a dozen around here. 2.2's or their attached transmissions cannot be found.

I rebuilt a 2.2 in school, and I have never liked them since. Their flimsy, underpowered, have no fuel economy, and appear to have been originally designed for a tractor. A updated 2.5 would've suited the 2nd gens much better. It and the 2.2 are equally noisy anyway.

·
Bold as Love
1,869 Posts
explain please.
It's a crude, weak little motor. It had all the limitations of what appears to be a cheap industrial engine, but none of the benefits.

The Iron Puke atleast had a little more torque (With its half-assed TBI setup) to pull a truck around reasonably. The early 90's engines were pretty refined. If they MFI and a few more adjustments made I think they would've been a better engine for a truck like the S-10.

·
Blacked out Z
289 Posts
I agree 100% drove dads s10 with the 2.2...no power, no gas milage, nothing...though it is running strong at 220,000:haha: Id take the 2.5 over that engine anyday. 4.3 swap should be fun good luck!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You know you can still have AC with a v8 right?

Yeah but the main reason I am going this route is money...I bought the 2.2 for my girlfriend and the trans crapped out...a 2.2 that doesn't run is only worth whatever the scrap yard will give ya...I picked up the 4.3 for a song...and it is a pretty highly optioned truck,(tilt,cruze, electric windows, doorlocks,mirrors, ZQ8 etc) with low miles. When I get through I will have less in the whole truck than it would cost to rebuild a V-8, and it is more of a challenge than throwing a carbed motor in there.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm interested, although everything should be bolt on with the exception of the wiring harness. That's going to be your biggest obstacle as there's quite a few differences between 94 and 98. I eventually want to swap in a 4.3 into my truck, so I'll keep an eye on your progress.

I plan to use the entire harness off the donor truck...the only way to do this swap without headaches.

hurry up and get started!

OK got started...got it off the trailer...pulled the seats and dash...which was very interesting with the roof caved in...lol

·
Electrical Mod
56,116 Posts
I plan to use the entire harness off the donor truck...the only way to do this swap without headaches.
Are you using the dash and steering column out of the 98? Because they are not a direct bolt in, you will have to modify where the column mounts and how the dash mounts as well. Otherwise, the steering column harness is nothing like the 94. More options and totally different connectors and even locations, like the ignition switch and headlight switch. Not trying to put you down, just want you to know it's not a direct swap and will require some electrical of fabrication, depending on which route you go.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Are you using the dash and steering column out of the 98? Because they are not a direct bolt in, you will have to modify where the column mounts and how the dash mounts as well. Otherwise, the steering column harness is nothing like the 94. More options and totally different connectors and even locations, like the ignition switch and headlight switch. Not trying to put you down, just want you to know it's not a direct swap and will require some electrical of fabrication, depending on which route you go.

If it was easy,little girls would do it...lol. Yes I am using the dash and steering column from the wreck...no matter what. I have a cut off wheel and mig welder so whatever bracket has to be moved to make it work is going. Can't be that hard:)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
This will not be a fast moving project...since it is dark when I leave for work and dark when I get home...weekends only...lol. Today I completely disconnected everything on the topside to remove the motor...as you will notice I am not disconnecting anything that does not have to be removed to get the motor out. I plan to use the complete wiring harness from the donor vehicle...but I am only disconnecting it at the big plugs so I can get it out of the vehicle. I have not unplugged anything from the motor...just unhooked it from the truck and piled it on top. I will be pulling the motor/trans as a unit. I am using the 98 dash and steering column in the 94...I will go into detail on what it takes to make that happen...probably in a separate post but I will link to it here...If the weather holds out, I will pull the motor tomorrow.

:D

1 - 20 of 32 Posts