S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
http://www.vicbaggers.com
4,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Its a 89' 4.3. It failed the smog at 15mph..the 25mph passed, barely but passed.

I would like to get all info I can before I plop down $65 for them just to tell me whats wrong. Before I go anyfuther, I`m no mechanic. I can everything else, but engine/tranny I`m clueless..:)

before the smog test I changed the spark plugs, PVC valve, air filter. The wires looked good & the cap/rotor looked good. I was told. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanx in advance..:bowtie:

·
Registered
448 Posts
Change the oil.
When your gas tank is almost empty put in 1 gallon of denatured alcohol (hardware store), add 3 gallons gas.
It will pass.

·
4,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Are you sure? I was told that if it failed again the state will take over & fix it & it will be $$$$$$$

I`m new to Cali., so I`m not sure how it works..

I just want to make sure before I do that. Should I go ahead & get new wires, cap/rotor? Would the muffler have anything to do w/it? I think it maybe rusted also..

Thanx for the quick reply BTW..

·
GMtruckHQ
2,894 Posts
just get as much new stuff on it as you can
Try new cap and rotor it cant hurt and you should try and get a really good muffler

·
Registered
710 Posts
auto parts store have a gas additive that will guarantee you to pass emissions maybe that will help u out thats what i use

·
Clean N' Dark
1,921 Posts
Definitely change your cap and rotor.

Changing your plugs only is just a waste seeing you might have corroded connections causing an insufficient spark and incomplete combustion.

·
Early Member
3,135 Posts
Also replace your coil and gas cap.

·
bitch
7,884 Posts
ok, i'm an inspector here in NC. what did you fail on? the HC or the CO? if it was the HC and after you did that small tune up then i would go with the wires and distributor cap. but while you are at it check for and cracked spark plugs, a crack in the porcelin will cause a miss giving you mad HC. HC is UNBURNT gas.

i've never had any cars come in with high CO but i had an old caddy come in one time that had a bad pcv line. it was cracked up and stuff and that was basically a horrendous vaccum leak. so check for cracked lines and everything.

or you can drive here to nc and i'll pass you :D

·
Registered
10,898 Posts
i'M WITH LO. I too have a smog license and it's for here in Ca. Like
he mentioned what did you fail on ? Was it HC's, or CO's ? Was it
a combination of the two ? How many miles on the ride ? Did you happen
to change the oil before you took it down to smog ? Was it missing
or running bad when you tested ? Did you gross pollute ? Did you
fail any of the functioal tests such as timing, ck eng lite or fuel cap ?
Did you fail the visual inspection as well as the 50/15 part of the
dyno test ? The more info you give off the VIR [ Vehicle insp report]
you got after you paid for the insp, the better we can help ya get
right..However if it gross polluted, well tell us first where and on
what you failed on..

·
4,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
bg`s here`s the report..

visual inspection : tampered
functional: pass
emissions: fail

15mph: RPM 1241, CO2 13.5, O2 2.0, HC 132, CO .18, NO 96
25mph: RPM 1337, CO2 13.5, O2 1.9, HC 85, C0 .20, NO 91

Thanx for this..I need to get this fixed by friday. Anyhelp will be appreciated!

my AIM is RickyFonton, email [email protected]

Thanx again!!!

·
Registered
29 Posts
My sisters car didn't pass. They told her it was electrical problem. I changed her cat. and it passed with flying colors. A brand new catalytic converter covers up alot of problems. Her plugs, plug wires, cap, and rotor were all in good shape.

·
4,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well I found out what it was..

The O2 sensor was going bad & trhe cat needs to be replaced. I thanx all ya`ll for your help!!

I had to spend $65 to find out, but it was worth it. I damn sure didn`t want to do a buch of stuff & find out it didn`t pass.

Thanx again!!

·
Registered
658 Posts
mine failed e check before i bought it but i took it to a different county that didn't require e-check...

I think it would pass now if it was running because i put a new exhaust from y-pipe back

1 - 20 of 21 Posts