S-10 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was in the 60v6 forum looking for advice on a motor swap from my 88 2.8 to something bigger. they said a 3.4 would fit perfectly, but everyone around here said it would'nt fit without a new tranny and all the wiring, and that a 4.3 would be the next step i can put in easily. if that's true and a 3.4 wont go in easily, what years 4.3s can be used in an 88 and what would be needed to swap one in?
Justin

·
2001 S-10 Crew Cab
557 Posts
The 3.4L is what you want. It is a direct bolt in replacement for the 2.8L.

2.8, 3.1, 3.4 are all the same engine family 60*V6's

The 4.3L is 90* the same as the V-8's.

This is the 3.4L I installed in my '86 - Thunder Chevy

·
wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i have a question though. on you site you said its tbi, but all the 3.4s i've seen were port fuel injection. can you just replace the tbi from the 2.8 and be rid of the f/i? and are any other parts needed to do the swap that don't come off the 2.8?

·
ask me about my crabs
81 Posts
what you are thinking of is the 3.4's that come in Camaro's, those WON"T go in directly, what you need is 3.4 liter a crate engine from GM Performance Parts, it retails for around 1700

·
Lunatic
257 Posts
waxy_buildup said:
what you are thinking of is the 3.4's that come in Camaro's, those WON"T go in directly, what you need is 3.4 liter a crate engine from GM Performance Parts, it retails for around 1700
physically it will go in directly. mechanically you'll need to swap in your TBI intake and sensors.
go for it, it's not much work when compared to a 4.3/V8 swap and a used camaro engine costs around $300-$500.

·
life begins @ 20 psi
672 Posts
waxy_buildup said:
Not true. The 3.4 in my S10 that came out of a wrecked 95 camaro (50K motor for $500 from a junkyard) runs like a top. The SFI intake on the 3.4 from the "donormaro" is removed and the 2.8 intake bolts DIRECTLY on. Outside of replacing some gaskets and black RTV for the intake, 4.3 injectors should be put it to prevent it from running lean at WOT. Seems 2.8 to 3.4 swaps are largely unheard of on this forum :(... Several happy owners have "defected" on s-series.org. Learn the FACTS here:

http://forums.s-series.org/viewtopic.php?t=52

http://forums.s-series.org/viewtopic.php?t=237
HTH's

Mike Campbell

·
ask me about my crabs
81 Posts
eh guess i was wrong i just had read that they aren't direct changes, so with that new info...pyro if you can get your hands on the TPI motor go for it it is much better than TBI

1 - 7 of 7 Posts