S-10 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a rolled s10 with a brand new crate 2.2 and have been looking for roller bodys and find a lot of the 4.3 4x4 desirable s10s and was wondering if this swap is possible I would imagine it's easier than a 2.2 to a 4.3 I would like to have 4x4 with a 2.2 might be slow but just wondering if possible

·
B4U Task Force Admin
26,276 Posts
You'll be disappointed in the 2.2 trying to push a 4X4. Lots of guys looking for a low mile 2.2.

·
time to get cereal
3,963 Posts
The transmission is where you're going to run into problems. A 2.2L transmission is not going to work with a transfer case. If you have or put a T5 bellhousing on you might be able to use a 4x4 T5 tranny. They came on 94-95 S10s with the 2.2L.

Even more of a long shot is finding a transmission from an old 2.0L S10 from the mid '80s, they were available in 4wd... but I've never seen anyone here with one.

You'll probably need at least 4.10s axle ratios, 4.56 being more realistic.

Edit: The oil pan and motor mounts could pose an issue also.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Alright sounds like if I buy a 4.3 4x4 when it pukes make a 2wd truck to drive or sell

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would 😂 poor guy took me and my friend that's a actual midget 2 and a half hours and 5 bent 18mm wrenches to get 2 bell housing bolts but saying that I have had to much into this truck and have became an s10 guy because of it, wanting to do a prerunner build or crawler and such

·
Registered
1995 s10 2.2 t5wc mated to np233c manual shift mod, on a s10 blazer chassis, custom flat bed.
17 Posts
I have a rolled s10 with a brand new crate 2.2 and have been looking for roller bodys and find a lot of the 4.3 4x4 desirable s10s and was wondering if this swap is possible I would imagine it's easier than a 2.2 to a 4.3 I would like to have 4x4 with a 2.2 might be slow but just wondering if possible
It is possible because I did it, but it's not easy. I started with a 2.2 5speed s10 and a doner clapped out 4.3 automatic s10 blazer. I had the t5 wc mainshaft shortened, and bolted up a t5 nwc np207 tail housing on. I modified a 5th gear plastic oiler funnel to fit the tail housing, and used a llv style gear reduction starter for more clearance. (as starter is on wrong side) I also had to mount the drive train higher by about 1 inch, so in turn also had to body lift some. The 2.2 has plenty of power to move a 4wd setup. Stock 4.3 gearing is higher so I ended up gearing it lower. I love the setup and have towed 2k with it how it is(pretty doggish when towing but could maintain freeway speeds)

·
Registered
1995 s10 2.2 t5wc mated to np233c manual shift mod, on a s10 blazer chassis, custom flat bed.
17 Posts
You'll be disappointed in the 2.2 trying to push a 4X4. Lots of guys looking for a low mile 2.2.
I find this funny, the same thing I found before I did mine. Everyone claimed a 2.2 would struggle pushing a 4wd yet nobody had actually tried it. Nissan and Toyota pushed many stock 4wds with less power then a 2.2.

·
B4U Task Force Admin
26,276 Posts
I find this funny, the same thing I found before I did mine. Everyone claimed a 2.2 would struggle pushing a 4wd yet nobody had actually tried it. Nissan and Toyota pushed many stock 4wds with less power then a 2.2.
My mistake...I'm sure it will leap tall buildings in a single bound. So let's see some pics of your Super S10.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I'm not trying to get raise a stink here, so no need to be cynical but I can post pics if your interested.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I'm new to posting on these forum, but I started a thread called (1995 s10 2.2 4wd conversion) where I can post more pics if people truly have an interest.

·
B4U Task Force Admin
26,276 Posts
I'm new to posting on these forum, but I started a thread called (1995 s10 2.2 4wd conversion) where I can post more pics if people truly have an interest.
Post them in the thread you just mentioned.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts