S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ive got a 98 blazer 4x4 with 33 12.50 15's on it, its got the stock gearing in it now, 3.73 i guess? I want it to pull my boat trailer a little better and not be bogged down as bad, especially in reverse(backing out of a driveway that is sloped) and just give it a little more power. What would be better? I do DD it so i dont want to make the gas mileage any worse if i can help it.

Could someone maybe link me to a good set?

I cant find any the places ive looked.

·
Registered dumbass
2,225 Posts
4.56s would obviously work better for you, but your rpms will be too high and your gas mileage will suck. I'd say go with 4.11s and you should be in the best all around shape.

·
2wd Lift Expert
1,437 Posts
My stock gearing was 3.08. I lifted with 33/12.50 tires and put in 3.73 to equil out the tire size regear. Later went to 4.56 and Detroit locker and my milage droped one third! :(

But i shure scoots around town!!! :D

V6 5 speed RPMs on the freeway are now 2750 to 3000...

·
Custom Painter
1,873 Posts
My stock gearing was 3.08. I lifted with 33/12.50 tires and put in 3.73 to equil out the tire size regear. Later went to 4.56 and Detroit locker and my milage droped one third! :(

But i shure scoots around town!!! :D

V6 5 speed RPMs on the freeway are now 2750 to 3000...

hey baron, my truck is a 5spd, came with 3.42s, i put 31s on it. this is with the smaller v6 2.8. 5th gear doesnt accelerate, i can only stay at freeway speed till it bogs down. when i put 33s on, should i go 4.10s or 4.56s? my power is no where near a 4.3. its more like a 4 cylinder, what do u think?

·
Lifted Member
986 Posts
therron258 said:
Ive got a 98 blazer 4x4 with 33 12.50 15's on it, its got the stock gearing in it now, 3.73 i guess? I want it to pull my boat trailer a little better and not be bogged down as bad, especially in reverse(backing out of a driveway that is sloped) and just give it a little more power. What would be better? I do DD it so i dont want to make the gas mileage any worse if i can help it.
I'd go with 4.56's now, and take the bill on the slight gas mileage difference on highway. Once your 33's are burnt up, slap on 34's or 35's and feel the truck return to stock. Almost forgot to add, I'd only go with 4.10's if a V8 was in the near future.

sik_kreations_951 said:
hey baron, my truck is a 5spd, came with 3.42s, i put 31s on it. this is with the smaller v6 2.8. 5th gear doesnt accelerate, i can only stay at freeway speed till it bogs down. when i put 33s on, should i go 4.10s or 4.56s? my power is no where near a 4.3. its more like a 4 cylinder, what do u think?
The prime torque band of a 2.8L is just starting right around 2250rpms, so if you could get your 5th gear to cruise around that torque band you're looking at the most mechanical advantage at the most fuel efficient RPM range.

In short, with 33's, 4.56's will get you back into the power band you need. Remember it's not all about cruising MPG and lowest RPM for best gas mileage, it's about getting up to speed and maintaining that speed at cruise. It does your tranny no good to be shifting back and forth from 5th to 4th because you hit a slight incline with big tires. 4.56's will sit you cruising at 2200 RPMs going 65mph, and since very few of us obey the actual highway speed limit, figure 70mph will sit you at a perfect 2370 RPMs.

·
2wd Lift Expert
1,437 Posts
If you can do the 4.56 it would help a ton but cost a bunch too. Another way to go that would be cheaper, would be to get a 4.10 10 bolt from a pick a part yard for $100 and get a MSD for your ignition. Those help low end power and improve your gas mileage. Those two items would still be less then just the 4.56 gear swap.

·
Custom Painter
1,873 Posts
If you can do the 4.56 it would help a ton but cost a bunch too. Another way to go that would be cheaper, would be to get a 4.10 10 bolt from a pick a part yard for $100 and get a MSD for your ignition. Those help low end power and improve your gas mileage. Those two items would still be less then just the 4.56 gear swap.

im trading paint work for the install. and might be trading gears also. its a "homie hook up"

baron have u driven with a 2.8? its a ****in gutless wonder.

·
Custom Painter
1,873 Posts
The prime torque band of a 2.8L is just starting right around 2250rpms, so if you could get your 5th gear to cruise around that torque band you're looking at the most mechanical advantage at the most fuel efficient RPM range.

In short, with 33's, 4.56's will get you back into the power band you need. Remember it's not all about cruising MPG and lowest RPM for best gas mileage, it's about getting up to speed and maintaining that speed at cruise. It does your tranny no good to be shifting back and forth from 5th to 4th because you hit a slight incline with big tires. 4.56's will sit you cruising at 2200 RPMs going 65mph, and since very few of us obey the actual highway speed limit, figure 70mph will sit you at a perfect 2370 RPMs.[/quote]

ya i dont want that 5th to 4th shift all the time, its like im crusing and if i want to pass someone, i have to down shift. and it still lags.

so 4.56s would put me around stock? im looking to do 80 to 85mph no problem.

·
Lifted Member
986 Posts
baron have u driven with a 2.8? its a ****in gutless wonder.
I always say the only good thing about a 2.8L V6 motor, is the motor mounts. A well done V8 swap will use 2.8L motor mounts and JTR conversion plates which allow the motor to sit as low as possible. I'd swap motors before running 4.56's, (mainly because I HATE gear swaps with a passion) but since your ring and pinion set is on the cheap side (not in quality, but in price) then go that route.

Barron's got a good point though, 2.2L 4 bangers came with 4.10's stock if they had an automatic. Or is it a 5 speed? I can't remember, look in the 2.2 forum for the correct answer, I never did any research into the tutu. It'll be cheaper to find a 2.2 rear and swap rears, maybe even getting disc brakes out of the deal. Avoid actually changing the ring and pinion if you can, if this is your 1st time. They're expensive to have done ($200-300 if you have the hook up, upwards of $400-700 for a shop to do it) and your tolerances must be within a few thousandths of an inch in 3 different directions if you do it yourself.

4.10's will probably be the best route if you want to cruise at 80mph. I don't have my TI-89 handy right now to do the math, but my best guess will put your RPM range in the same 2250-2400 range when going 80mph with 33's and a 5 speed. Only problem with that is all your other cruising (under 70mph) will feel slow and dog-like as it does now.

·
Custom Painter
1,873 Posts
I always say the only good thing about a 2.8L V6 motor, is the motor mounts. A well done V8 swap will use 2.8L motor mounts and JTR conversion plates which allow the motor to sit as low as possible. I'd swap motors before running 4.56's, (mainly because I HATE gear swaps with a passion) but since your ring and pinion set is on the cheap side (not in quality, but in price) then go that route.

Barron's got a good point though, 2.2L 4 bangers came with 4.10's stock if they had an automatic. Or is it a 5 speed? I can't remember, look in the 2.2 forum for the correct answer, I never did any research into the tutu. It'll be cheaper to find a 2.2 rear and swap rears, maybe even getting disc brakes out of the deal. Avoid actually changing the ring and pinion if you can, if this is your 1st time. They're expensive to have done ($200-300 if you have the hook up, upwards of $400-700 for a shop to do it) and your tolerances must be within a few thousandths of an inch in 3 different directions if you do it yourself.

4.10's will probably be the best route if you want to cruise at 80mph. I don't have my TI-89 handy right now to do the math, but my best guess will put your RPM range in the same 2250-2400 range when going 80mph with 33's and a 5 speed. Only problem with that is all your other cruising (under 70mph) will feel slow and dog-like as it does now.

its 4.56s i want then. i want it to be like stock, and i could easily hit the govener.

as far as a engine swap, id say not right now. besides its not street legal in cali to put a v8 in, and a 4.3 swap is expensive, considering i have to get the trans and all.

i have people to put in gears thats the prob, its just finding the right ratio.

·
2wd Lift Expert
1,437 Posts
its 4.56s i want then. i want it to be like stock, and i could easily hit the govener.

as far as a engine swap, id say not right now. besides its not street legal in cali to put a v8 in, and a 4.3 swap is expensive, considering i have to get the trans and all.

i have people to put in gears thats the prob, its just finding the right ratio.
If that's all you want, just use a tire/gear calculator. ;)

http://www.4lo.com/calc/gearratio.htm

·
2wd Lift Expert
1,437 Posts
I had the same 3.08 gears stock. 3.73's puts your gearing back to stock and fixes your speedo too as an added plus. If you mostly drive around town I'd go with 4.11's. Long drive into work/school, stick with the 3.73's. The 3.73's are more common in the salvage yards too. :dunno:

1 - 20 of 40 Posts