S-10 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My window seal is ripping on my extended cab windows do i have to get a new window or just replace the molding? how do i go about doing it?

Attachments

·
I AM CANADIAN
5,647 Posts
mine is not quite that bad but from what I heard that strip doesnt do much but just keep the draft down, but I could be wrong.

·
I turn.
2,555 Posts
weird, mine ripped from the top down! I tried fixing it with GOOP, it only held for a few months.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I bought my truck at a dealer and the seal was ripping like that. I made them replace it before I bought the truck. They said the only way you could replace it was to get new windows because it is attached to the windows. I do not know if that is the case though there might be another way to replace it but i don't know. So I got two new rear windows along with the new rubber strips.

·
rox
9,360 Posts
I bought my truck at a dealer and the seal was ripping like that. I made them replace it before I bought the truck. They said the only way you could replace it was to get new windows because it is attached to the windows. I do not know if that is the case though there might be another way to replace it but i don't know. So I got two new rear windows along with the new rubber strips.
i've heard that too. I've also heard it's a major bitch to get the ex cab windows out.

·
Urban Hick
2,846 Posts
Mine were doing that about an inch up, I contact cemented a small peice of vinyl on the backside for strength, and then fill the crack itself with some black RTV....been holding since last fall.

·
Passwordistaco
5,877 Posts
ok so now that we know how to get around replacing it how about some help on how to fix it correctly, do you have to replace the whole window and if so how much? or can you just replace the weather stripping? Has anyone done fixed theres before?

·
Registered
320 Posts
the assembly is riveted to the cab of the truck where tat rubber piece is torn flip it up wit your fingers and look in there. Aftermarket replacements are a grip of money i wanna say 180 per side, you can't replace just the rubber there bonded from factory. Mines torn too...common thing

Glassman 10 years exp..

·
I turn.
2,555 Posts
Mine were doing that about an inch up, I contact cemented a small peice of vinyl on the backside for strength, and then fill the crack itself with some black RTV....been holding since last fall.
good idea on the black RTV - I'm going to give that a try this weekend :)

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
lmc truck sells them attached to the glass, not seperately
im heading down to j/k this sat, they have 2 ex cabs there no 3rd door though
ill drill the glass out of 1 of the trucks & check it out for construction & difficulty
lmc does sell replacement rivets for .95 ea (9 per side), not sure of dealer cost
ill check back sat or sun with my findings

·
Registered
3 Posts
There's three rivits on the hinge side and knock the roll-pin
out of the latch side and it's off. But, the window is listed
as different on the left side between the 3rd-door and the
non-3rd. I can't find the difference.

Gary Kosier

·
resident crybaby
1,517 Posts
ebay that sht $30 i replaced mine they arent hard at all just drill out the aluminum rivets and take the pin out of the hinge than put the new one in. and my advice is to put armorall on it regularly or else it will happen again like it did to me:rant:

·
Registered
1 Posts
There's three rivits on the hinge side and knock the roll-pin
out of the latch side and it's off. But, the window is listed
as different on the left side between the 3rd-door and the
non-3rd. I can't find the difference.

I know this is an old thread but I'm hoping you can still give me some feedback on the topic. I've recently purchased a 2003 S10 LS Extended Cab ZR2 and the 3rd door weather stripping is tearing as pictured in this tread. Did you end up replacing the whole 3rd door window? ... or ... Were you able to simply replace the weather stripping? Thx.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I'd like some more info on this too. Both sides on my truck are bad. I'd like to fix it just because it looks bad, even if it doesn't actually hurt anything.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I know no one here would do anything like this but,

Hypothetically somehow the 3rd door window gets broken while the window is in the open position while driving down the road by a rock or something thrown from a truck and it shatters the window.

Does Safelite carry the glass?

Anyone know if side glass is covered like a windshield with insurance.

Just a thought to this situation...

SIRR1

1 - 17 of 17 Posts