S-10 Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Cop is uniformed. 1986 was the first year for the 3rd taillight mandate. 85 and older (all cars/trucks) didn't come with them. Might be possible to find a late '85 manufacture (car/truck any make/model) that might have gotten one, but unlikely.

If you actually have to show up for court, all you need to do is inform the judge the 3rd light wasn't mandated by law until 1986, and therefore your "1983 S-10" is not required by law to have one. Judge should toss it. Judge might give a small amount of leeway to quickly explain this when asking for your guilty/innocent plea. Take your vehicle registration with you as that should be enough proof.

If it were me, I'd go to that cop's supervisor and explain the guy made an error. If his supervisor was around in the 80's, he'd know this. Maybe they'll drop it before going to court, or very least not show up so it gets dismissed (plead innocent).
My 1987 did not come with one. If there is one, it is required to work even if it is an option.

·
Never2lo88
2,895 Posts
Even if your truck was post 1986, police don't generally pull vehicles over for such minor things unless they suspect something and need a reason to pull you over. I got this from my brother in law who is a retired officer.
I would agree with you. When I was stopped he was sitting in a church parking lot and I had just rode past him doing the speed limit making a left hand turn to go over the tracks. Then he stopped me. This one town I was in does it all the time. It don't matter if it's factory or not. If they don't see it working they will stop you for it. I just removed mine since it was so old and not needed nor factory.

·
time to get cereal
3,541 Posts
It wasn't required on trucks or vans until 1994, though most had them before that. My parent's 1991 Trans Sport did not have one.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Yea the cop let me go thankfully after I told him it was an 83' he seemed to rush to get the stop over with and he did seem really young so I assumed he was a new cop so I didnt want to give him much trouble and I went on my way.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I recently got pulled over on my way home from work and the officer told me it was because my 3rd brake light was out. I've owned the truck for about 4 months now and have never seen it work and I didnt think it even had one. After researching it when I got home I learned the law didnt require them until 1986 and my truck is from 1983. And sorry if it's a stupid question but I'm still relatively new to owning a 1st gen S10. But for my own sanity does my 1983 S10 even have a 3rd brake light? View attachment 343151
No. It never had one.

·
B4U Task Force Admin
25,224 Posts
I'm pretty sure I mentioned it in posts 2 & 6, and provided a link to the GM Heritage Site.

·
my hoopty
1,947 Posts
Any chance you have the optional cargo light and he just thought it was a third brake light? Glad he realized he was in the wrong.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Any chance you have the optional cargo light and he just thought it was a third brake light? Glad he realized he was in the wrong.
Yes I do and that's what I thought when he told me but I didnt want to argue with him if was was going to.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts