S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I recently got pulled over on my way home from work and the officer told me it was because my 3rd brake light was out. I've owned the truck for about 4 months now and have never seen it work and I didnt think it even had one. After researching it when I got home I learned the law didnt require them until 1986 and my truck is from 1983. And sorry if it's a stupid question but I'm still relatively new to owning a 1st gen S10. But for my own sanity does my 1983 S10 even have a 3rd brake light?

·
B4U Task Force Admin
25,229 Posts
Doesn't have one.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I dont think so. If it does it would probably be the top of the back window in the middle. I would just run it without it and hope you don't see another super strict cop. I can't believe you got pulled over in the first place for that. Cops where I live dont really car about stuff like that. If they pull you over again tell them it doesnt even have one.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yea I will I didnt think it had one from the start but I didnt want to argue with an officer. Thank you guys I appreciate it.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I think it may have been an option. That cop seems in the wrong here.

love your color combo btw, very pretty truck

·
B4U Task Force Admin
25,229 Posts

·
94 4x4,01 Blazer
2001 Blazer 4dr 4wd LT
1,181 Posts
Take photo of truck,and print out Rhot's article above and go to court. As it is not equiped with it and predates the mandate, the judge/prosecutor has to toss the ticket and may actually get on the cops case .

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you I saved it from someone who had it custom built from the ground up and then let it sit by the ocean for 5 years so rust started getting to it but that's the original paint. And if I get pulled over for it again hopefully the cop realizes that they are in the wrong it just sucks that it happened in the first place. And thankfully he let me go after I told him it was from 1983 he seemed to let me go without saying much and pretty quickly so I think he realized himself but who knows.

·
94 4x4,01 Blazer
2001 Blazer 4dr 4wd LT
1,181 Posts
ok- keep the print out in glovebox for future encounters..Rustoleom Rust restorer and POR 15 will be your friends for saving that beauty.

·
Registered
31 Posts
ok- keep the print out in glovebox for future encounters..Rustoleom Rust restorer and POR 15 will be your friends for saving that beauty.
word, I’ve used POR 15 twice. The first time I did a half-butted job, the recent time I did it right with the grease remover and metal etching prep. I’m confident my frame will be black until the sun expands to a red giant and swallows earth.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yea I've got to get to work on the frame I bought a new rocker for the driver side and the por 15 but i need to clean it up before applying it I'm thankful i got to it while it can still hold itself together.

·
Premium Member
1994 GMC Jimmy SLE, 2010 Cadillac STS
81 Posts
Thank you I saved it from someone who had it custom built from the ground up and then let it sit by the ocean for 5 years so rust started getting to it but that's the original paint. And if I get pulled over for it again hopefully the cop realizes that they are in the wrong it just sucks that it happened in the first place. And thankfully he let me go after I told him it was from 1983 he seemed to let me go without saying much and pretty quickly so I think he realized himself but who knows.
I’m pretty sure I was looking at possibly buying this truck... it’s from Jersey correct? With a 350 in it?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I’m pretty sure I was looking at possibly buying this truck... it’s from Jersey correct? With a 350 in it?
Yes it does, everything internally was custom built but the most recent owner let it sit for a few years 2 blocks from the ocean so I snatched it for cheap and started working on it, it's currently my daily and has been doing great just needed to work out a few kinks with it.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Yes it does, everything internally was custom built but the most recent owner let it sit for a few years 2 blocks from the ocean so I snatched it for cheap and started working on it, it's currently my daily and has been doing great just needed to work out a few kinks with it.
Great purchase. My truck was MA then PA it’s whole life. Rust was so bad that I replaced literally half the body. Yours looks pretty good, from the outside anyway. I’m only a few miles from N NJ, if I ever see ya I’ll honk 👍

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Great purchase. My truck was MA then PA it’s whole life. Rust was so bad that I replaced literally half the body. Yours looks pretty good, from the outside anyway. I’m only a few miles from N NJ, if I ever see ya I’ll honk 👍
Thanks in appreciate it, its always a shame seeing these trucks rust away the rust on mine isnt to bad mainly the inner front fenders a little and the rockers. But engine and trans wise it's a master piece. But I still have a lot to learn about them it's only my second vehicles I've ever owned and my first was a 1988 Firebird so it was a big change.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Just to clarify - only cars had to have the CHMSL (center high mount stop lamp) from 1986 on. Trucks and vans weren't mandated to have them until 1994 - so no 1st gen S-10 pickup had one, it wasn't until the 2nd gen.

·
Mew Nember
49 Posts
Cop is uniformed. 1986 was the first year for the 3rd taillight mandate. 85 and older (all cars/trucks) didn't come with them. Might be possible to find a late '85 manufacture (car/truck any make/model) that might have gotten one, but unlikely.

If you actually have to show up for court, all you need to do is inform the judge the 3rd light wasn't mandated by law until 1986, and therefore your "1983 S-10" is not required by law to have one. Judge should toss it. Judge might give a small amount of leeway to quickly explain this when asking for your guilty/innocent plea. Take your vehicle registration with you as that should be enough proof.

If it were me, I'd go to that cop's supervisor and explain the guy made an error. If his supervisor was around in the 80's, he'd know this. Maybe they'll drop it before going to court, or very least not show up so it gets dismissed (plead innocent).

·
Never2lo88
2,895 Posts
Kinda surprised they pulled you over for one that isn't even there on the cab. It sounds like he was trying to check you out. I got pulled over once for that on my 88 jimmy and that's when I pulled the light. It was attached to the rear glass and it was aftermarket. I've had 7 blazers and jimmys and only my 96 has a 3rd brake light. If you add one it has to work. if it doesn't work they can give you a ticket for it not working. But if it is not factory for it you can remove it and they can't say anything about it. Nice truck too by the way.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Kinda surprised they pulled you over for one that isn't even there on the cab. It sounds like he was trying to check you out.
Even if your truck was post 1986, police don't generally pull vehicles over for such minor things unless they suspect something and need a reason to pull you over. I got this from my brother in law who is a retired officer.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts