S-10 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
PCMPOWERTUNES
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
i just installed a flow 40 3 in in and duals out with no tailpipes and man is that thing loud and talk about resonating, the whole cab shakes now . sounds better at higher rpm though. im wondering if i put the pipes out the back if it will quiet it down a little and cut down on the resonation .

any inputs appreciated

thanks jim

·
Registered
10,898 Posts
Should work. Just run the pipe out the back or where it was
from the factory. Bad thing is the 40 will resonate in the cab
just maybe not as much with a tailpipe installed..Yea I bet yer
ride is loud with a 3" orig 40..
:eek:

·
Project: Sabriel
12,507 Posts
lol...if you want quiet, why did you get that style muffler? i had the same muffler installed, and heard it w/o the dual pipes and it was LOUD! pipes should quiet it down a good bit tho, but expect to have a constant drone in the cab when on the interstate.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
I GOT THE SAME SETUP DUAL OUT SOUNDS GREAT, I GOT 2 PIPES STRAIGHT OUT THE BACK

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Too hillbilly without tailpipes. I have that set-up with 2.5 inch duals all the way back into polished Z28 tips. Sounds great. Definitely sounds awsome, without being obnoxious.

·
Gaaoooooo
13,572 Posts
Yeah I agree about no tailpipes, I used to think a flowmaster with an open outlet was the only way to go, but after a few months of it I got sick of it and it actually sounded ratty and cheap to me after a while. I then got rid of my cat and into a original 2.5" in/out flowmaster, then a 2.5" tailpipe straight out the back, night and day difference, actually has a very muscular tone and an awesome idle, really cannot go wrong.

·
Registered
222 Posts
i have the edelbrock headers and y-pipe with stock cat and three inch going to 40 flow as far back as possible, with a pair of 2.5" turndowns about 2 inches from the rear axle. i love it, it sounds awesome definentaly the best sounding v6 ive ever heard at idle its got a rumble and it just growls all the time you accelarate, at high rpms it almost has a little 5.0 mustang sound to it. and that poppin it makes when i decelarate is just beautiful. i have so many people ask me how i put a small block in it ive even had people in lt1-ls1 scared to race me when i rev on them:)

·
ROB
128 Posts
I donno...I have an 84 2.8L carburated. It idles around 400-500. haha
I have sotck headers, stock Cat, and it goes into a flowmaster 40, single in, single out...(well now I ran a straight pipe right thru the muffler) but anyways, it splits in 2, and goes out in 2 31/[email protected] boomtubes. at idle The tubes are shaking side to side, it sounds amazing. haha
I wanna get a sound clip on this...
anyway
Take it eass
ROb.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts