S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I already have a 350 in my truck. I have just worked out all the details I need to get the parts to make the motor a 383. The only question remaining is the machining of the block. Does anyone out there have a site I can go to or any info on what exactly needs to be done to the block? I know that some of the cylinders need to be notched at the bottom so the rods with pass during rotation. I'm just looking for pics or something like that.
I also need to talk to a machine shop to see how much it will cost to do everything to the block. If anyone can help me please let me know. Thanks

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How do you figure?

I'm looking at the motor all the parts are coming from, It's a 350 block with a 400 crank...the 400 crank is what creats the storke in the motor, it has a longer stroke than the 350 crank. That would be where they get stroker.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Explain

On a 400 block a 350 crank wont fit...the journals are different sizes. There would be a huge gap between the crank and the journal. The main caps are completely different. Explain how you guys figure you need a 400 block and a 350 crank!

·
little pink pink
5,036 Posts
no problem...to bad I can't tell ya more about that...I wish I had a 383 stroker..but i don't...I am sure that there is "How To" web pages out there but I don't know any of them for sure..just search around..I am sure you'll find some.

·
Registered
128 Posts
If I were you I would look in the phone book and call some speed shops or automotive places and ask them about some engine builders in your area. I am positive they will know what has to be done with the block since they have probably built 383 strokers before. Those engines can make some scary power #'s when they are built right.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Sorry for the mistake. To build the stroker use the 350 block bored .030 over. Have the main journals on the 400 crank ground to fit the 350. Rods must be 5.56 inch length. Make sure you have the correct crank because some are fit for the 2pc seal. By the way, you can install the 350 crank in the 400 block. You must use bearing spacers. This creates a shorter stroke allowing you to turn higher RPM, good for horsepower but not as much torque as the 383.

·
LT1 S10 Expert
494 Posts
I was just saying that if you bore a 350ci block .030 over, you will get a 355. Adding the extra 400 crank would make it a 388ci engine. Just adding the 400 crank to the normal 350 makes 383ci.

Just messing with ya!!:D

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hey guys thanks for the info

I was figuring on trying to find a good machine shop...I wasn't sure if any of you guys were from IL and new of anyone off hand that was good. Does anyone know anything about EFI kits? I have a feeling that I won't be able to pass emisions with a 383 with a big ol carb sitting on top of it. Plus I'd like to be able to drive my truck a little bit without actually watching the gas gauge change from stop sign to stop sign..... Again thanks guys.

·
Redneck Off-Road
1,047 Posts
HectorM52 said:
Thanks Boghog1. I forgot about the bore!! You are correct...
LoL, Happy B-day my V8 bro( LoL, let me get ahold of a LS1...hmmm heres a thought. someone hire me:cuss: so I can get a V8)

·
Redneck Off-Road
1,047 Posts
Btw, LoL, I got that brake prob settled. Hehe they were lockin up like MAD if I barely touched the petal. LoL, I did a few burnouts and they seemed to adjust how ever they did, and now work great. Thanks for the help up there..lol even though I didn't do much, due to my cluelessness of drum brakes

1 - 20 of 31 Posts