S-10 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my 78 k-5 blazer got totaled by drunk driver in a ford f-250, it was parked and he slammed into side totaled it big time:soap:. the 383 seems unhurt. 3,000 miles on it, when new dynoed at 489 hp and 540 torq. if i stuck in s-10 what kind of tranny could i put in that will hold up? prefer standard, 4 speed from k-5 held up great after a new input shaft (stripped old one in first week) and a 12 inch double zoom clutch. the tranny from k-5 is cracked from impact and i don't think it would have fit. 700r4 is too weak for that torq and 6 speed to weak. HELP need idea's also would be willing to modify floor metal to fit it in. i was thinking of turbo 400 but don't wan't 3 speed or automatic. and info on type/installing 12 bolt rear axle in s-10. friend has s-10 short bed so waiting to decide to try it or not. if too complicated may go look for another k-5 blazer ( hard to find old one not rotted to hell or way over priced) anyone with 69-74 k-5 in decent shape?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
also no worry about emission crap where i am yet, friend also found an issue i didn;t think of, wheel hop would it be very bad? and how to fix it. k-5 had wheel hop only on rare occasion i think fiberglass roof added enough weight to k5. Man, i miss my k5.

·
footbraker
1,236 Posts
Why not use the 400 auto trans? With all that torque in such a LIGHT truck I don't think you'll miss the extra gears, might even help with traction.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Someone might correct me on this, but I think standards in a S10 have an issue with a header clearance. I might be wrong. As far as traction, some Caltrac traction bars would be just fine for what you are wanting. You might get out cheap and just use some "slappers". If you are dead set on a standard you could always cough up the money for a Jerco, they are basically indestructable.

Bit

·
Registered
507 Posts
Slappers won't cut it, my '87 short bed wouldn't hook up with slappers and less power, around 370hp guess.
I've seen stock suspension S-10's with nothing but cal-tracks and 8" slicks pulling the front wheels at the track.
Any traction bar, slapper or cal-tracs seriously limits ground clearance, especially if it's lowered.

I took a 4 cylinder out of mine and put in a V-8 and added 3" blocks in the back to level it=3" from traction bar to ground, not good.

For a transmission a super T-10 out of an '70's and early 80's camaro/firebird would be fine, sure you have a lot of power but it's never going to get enough to the ground to break a transmission. The T-10 would hold that power even in a heavy vehicle that got good traction. Plus you can still find them for a fair price used.
Have fun with the clutch linkage though.

For a rear forget a 12 bolt, thats old full sized thinking there.
I'd get a ford 8.8 out of an explorer, they have 31 spline axles, later models have disc brakes.
They are 59" wheel mounting flange (WMF) to WMF. The stock S-10 is 55" WMF to WMF.
The 8.8 rear is 3" longer on the drivers side so you'd only need to narrow one axle tube and go to the dealer and get a factory passenger side axle to install on the now shorter drivers side, this will give you a strong rear thats only an inch wider but at way less the cost of having a 12 bolt narrowed.
Plus all 8.8 ring and pinions interchange from f-150's to mustangs, and unlike the 12 bolt there is no difference in carrier series. On an 8.8 you can take out a 2.73 and put a 4.56 on the same carrier.

·
footbraker
1,236 Posts
I race against another s10 that gets 1.6 60' times with stock leaves minus the overload, 90/10 front shocks, 4.50 gear, 30x10 slicks, and SSM lift bars, he runs 10.80's in the 1/4. It's just in the setup. I dont think your motor has too much more power than his and those bars will work- tho I wont argue that the caltracs are better-just more expensive.

·
Registered
140 Posts
SSM or Cal-Trac webiste link please?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
already have 12 bolt rear end, just need to shorten. not going for really low gears. 3.73 i think. i didn't think about traction giving before trans (not used to being quite so light), t-10 might work how many gears? can i convert to cable clutch? that would seem to ease installation. How fast can s-10 go before becoming unstable? i know my k-5 would do 160 mph. Any idea's on what i would need for stability at really high speed? and what is the biggest rim/tire profile i can run without cutting, i am going with low profile z rated tires, if i'm going to do this i want at least 170 mph top without nitro.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
would welding some extra crossmembers in rear or a steel plate under the bed with heavy steel say 200 lbs help rear traction? i think it would also help some with stability at higher speed also. Idea's on headers also would help from there i can bend and make exhaust to fit and dump in front of rear tires, then avoid any issues with rear axle, wish i could get away with chrome side pipes but too noisy want to keep flow high but low noise thinking of splitting exhuast into 2 pipes at each header and muffler on eachpipe and two exhaust pipes in front of each rear tire, never tried this but should be interesting experiment "Quad Exhaust", what u think?

·
footbraker
1,236 Posts
You'll never see that top speed with 3.73's and no overdrive (manual or automatic). Why U need to go that fast anyways? If your truck runs 10's in the 1/4 the mph prob. less than 130.

·
Registered
321 Posts
The bed should act like a big wing.The faster you go the more air that will pushing down on it as it goes over the cab and back down.If you don't think a tonneau cover will be enough make a small wing, NASCAR style,to go across at the tailgate.I think some of the hard covers have these molded into them.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
found another 4 speed standard from blazer that fits engine, engine is in and tranny works fine with cable for clutch, 12 bolt is recut for size and going to use leaf springs for mounting with trction bars. drive shaft will be ready tomorrow. using the stock ratio in axle till i get it running right, and gear from there. real pain building new crossmember to mount tranny. adding driveshaft retainer tonight. still trying to figure out electrical system, 90% ready. looking for way to raise front a little from extra weight sag, thinking maybe airbags. man, feels good to hear the engine rumbling again. friend is going to help with making a new bumper out of stainless so i can mount oil cooler in bumper and aux lights. new radiator is in and seems to be cooling good, will know more when i get it on road and heat it up. Cut bigger hole in front cross piece for larger raidiator and stiffened whats left with angle iron, kind of ugly may redo over summer to get it looking better. any one make a one piece hood fender for s-10 that tilts for better access an then i can build a better support system. working on way to stiffen frame more.

·
2006 PBM GTO
523 Posts
If it is truly top end that you are going for, you need to stick to a higher gear, say a 3.23 and a 6spd. You can get T56 trannys that will live with that kind of power. What do you think they use in the Vipers? According to a handy online calculator, with a 27" tall tire, 3.23 gear, and a T56, you should be able to reach your goal topend speed around 4100RPM in 6th gear. You are definitely going to want to make some aerodynamic inhancements to your new flying brick though or you will have stability problems at that speed.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts