S-10 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well howdy again people of the s10 forums I am here again to bother you with my 350 swap questions again, ive gotten a snag of a deal I can get a 350 vortec wiring harness and all basically a whole doner truck and more for free out at my stepdads farm and basically my question is, what is all the accessories and such I can use to make this as budget friendly as a highschooler can be? What am i going to be able to get away with doing this? it doesn't have to be professional I'm just making a fun truck to hoon around in, I plan on swapping in a blazer rear end later on, my biggest questions about the swap is am i going to have to shorten the driveshaft and do I have to cut up my engine bay and move the radiator ahead? I plan on doing an electric fan setup, and the wiring ive heard its an absolute pain in the ass to do is this true? and can I make the stock exhaust work?

·
B4U Task Force Admin
24,289 Posts
If your 350 is f/I your swap should be pretty straight forward. Read all of the stickies in the V8 discussion section, and search for similar builds.

·
6th Incarnation
811 Posts
I plan on swapping in a blazer rear end later on, my biggest questions about the swap is am i going to have to shorten the driveshaft and do I have to cut up my engine bay and move the radiator ahead? I plan on doing an electric fan setup, and the wiring ive heard its an absolute pain in the ass to do is this true? and can I make the stock exhaust work?
I thought my driveshaft length was OK after the 4.3-5.7 swap, but I threw out the center bearing after a while, and couldn't get it to stay in its housing. Found that my transmission sits around 1/2" further back than before. Part of it's due to a 1/4" adapter plate between engine & trans, but the point is to take a close look when you get it together. If you use the same shaft, look at the yoke (or mark it) going into the transmission before you pull the engine. If it doesn't sit at the same point as before, you may need to do one of a few things:

• Slot your center-bearing bracket to move it back an equal distance - gives the front ds piece more room on the slip yoke.
  • (And) Relocate the rear axle backward - this would work for original or Blazer rear end. Look up the JTR axle setback plates for an example.

• (Or) Shorten the driveshaft.
  • (Also or) Swap to a new 1-piece driveshaft.
Like Rhotpursuit says, read the appropriate stickies, search some builds, you'll find answers.

On the fans - no that's not really complicated. It can be if you have AC, manual override, etc. But to simply wire a fan and a relay is not difficult. On this one I say be careful what you read and search, a lot of people have posted incorrect info about electricity and wiring online. And a lot of people have slightly different setups.

·
time to get cereal
3,210 Posts
What is your budget? These things always tend to cost more than originally planned.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts