S-10 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 350 tbi I'm wanting to put into my 96 s10. I want to use my 4l60e transmission on the engine. I've found out that you haft to have a way to control the transmission. I don't want to spend to much money on thie build I just want something with a little more kick. If someone has done this before please comment what you have done thank you.

·
Been there Done it
12,818 Posts
Bad idea. If your truck was an 88-94 I'd say go for it, but not 96+.
I put a TBI 5.7 in a 94 and drove it for 16 years. Wish rust hadn't killed it.
You'll be money and time ahead if you sell the TBI and buy a 96-02 Vortec 350. Your wiring will be greatly simplified (just 4 additional wires) and the fuel system is ready to go as is. You also gain 60 or more HP over TBI w/o changing the fuel mileage or driveability. Assuming you currently have a 4.3.
If the truck currently has a 2.2 you'll need to find a 96 4.3 to steal the complete engine harness and fuel system off of. You'll also need the transmission since a 2.2 trans won't bolt to a 4.3, 5.0, or 5.7. You will more than double the HP at the cost of some fuel mileage.
Around here good TBI 5.7's are selling for as much as, if not more than, a good Vortec 5.7 because they are starting to get scarce. So it should not cost more for the later engine.
Making the TBI system work on a 96 up would be doing things the hard way to end up with less power at a greater cost and degree of difficulty.
BTW swapping in an older engine is a violation of Federal Law which carries a $2500 fine.
If your state has emission inspections the TBI will flunk while the Vortec will pass OK.
Not to mention being bad for air quality.
Even is you got the TBI free, putting an L31 Vortec in will cost less in the end.
These comments are based on actual experience from having done the swaps. I currently have a 98 ZR2 with an L31 Vortec in it.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
I'd venture that it would be more in the range of $5K, when you add in all the "little things" that inevitably pop up during a project like that.
ive done V8s swaps for roughly $700 and some that were over 20K. So really, it depends on the OP and his abilities.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts