S-10 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone had the joy of doing a swap on a body dropped s10.. I got a 91.. with a 3 1/2 BD on it.. Anything I should watch out for?

thanxs

·
Registered
507 Posts
Am I understanding you right, the body has been lowered on the frame?
The main trouble spot on my V-8 swap was the engine and trans hitting the firewall and transmission tunnel.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Jay72 said:
Am I understanding you right, the body has been lowered on the frame?
The main trouble spot on my V-8 swap was the engine and trans hitting the firewall and transmission tunnel.
Yes that's correct.. it's a 2.8L 1991 S15 I Dropped the body 3 1/2 around the frame.. and in the process the engine got screwed.. so I'm gonna drop a 350 in it. I'm just worried that I'll have to do ALOT more bashing.. or something.. and What about the wirring.. Will i be able to keep my same gauge cluster.. like for the tranny n stuff?
:shoot:

·
Registered
507 Posts
You can do it if your skill level is high.
The first thing that comes to my mind is cutting the transmission tunnel out, doing the engine and trans swap, then getting a custom tunnel welded back in.
The reason I think this is because on the '87 I put a V-8 in was stock overwise and the transmission was less than 1/2" from the tunnel (in the back and front). I almost considered a custom 1/2 to 1 inch body lift to gain a little more clearance.

The wiring is another issue, I've done computer controlled to non computer controlled engine swaps in full sized chevy trucks and the electronic gauges and speedo still worked, even without the computer, usually the ABS doesn't work.
Never done an S-10 like that though, I usually take all the electronics out and go with the old mechanical stuff to make it easier.
In other words it can be done, so plan on the swap and post questions that are more specific when you get to that point, you might find it easy enough and figure it out on your own.

·
Registered
195 Posts
do you guys know anything about bodydrops? The tranny tunnel and floor of the truck don't get any lower. Just worry about the air box and such getting in the way. Anything on the firewall.

·
footbraker
1,236 Posts
You'll probably have to cut the firewall around the distributor. The top two bolts holding the bellhousing will also be a bitch, they're tight w/o the drop. Try cutting holes in the firewall to access these for later if you have to service the tranny.

·
Registered
507 Posts
don't h8 said:
do you guys know anything about bodydrops? The tranny tunnel and floor of the truck don't get any lower. Just worry about the air box and such getting in the way. Anything on the firewall.
To me the body is the cab, that includes the floor board. He said he dropped the body around the frame.
Then he says he's worried about doing a lot more bashing.
My suggestion was to do it with a little class and replace/relocate any parts in the way instead of bashing them.

·
Registered
28 Posts
hello How Ironic that dontH8 has a picture of my buddys old blazer in his avator. That truck has a 3.5 body drop with a small block. he used exhuast manifold because the shorty headers hit. The only problems where with the column, which he used a few u-jointsand the wiper motor was in the way. I figured out a way to mount the wiper motor under the dash in my pro street truck, just never got to do this for his blazer. Hope this helps SSB

·
Registered
234 Posts
i have an 89 extended cab s-10 with a 4" body drop and i have a 350 in mine and the only thing that i had to do was cut a section out for the distributor to clear. and beat the firewall back up around the top and the trans tunnel.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts