S-10 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a 94 S10 4x4 with a 4.3 vin W that took a dump. I have a 5.7 out of a 97 C1500 Silverado to put in with all the wires and ECM except OBD2 port. I'm trying to figure out if I'll need all the wiring or if anything already in the truck will work or any problems I may run into. I've researched tons but haven't seen this year with this engine. Since the Silverado is a 2wd and my S10 is a 4wd will I need to change ECMs or anything? I've considered to do a carb swap because I don't have a lot to spend and I have the parts just sitting around to do it and it would make the swap simple but I prefer to keep it TBI especially having the wiring already. I want to be able to drop it in and run the truck without issues, maybe not daily but still commute in it some back and forth to work. I am a little worried about grounds and sensors for the 5.7 as may of those wires were cut when it was taken out of the silverado and possible corrosion. What changes would I need to keep it TBI and make sure it'll run fine?

·
time to get cereal
5,098 Posts
I don't think a 97 C1500 had TBI with the 5.7L, it was CSFI.

·
Been there Done it
11,257 Posts
I have a 97 K1500 5.7 and it's a completely different engine than the TBI. Also it's OBD2 so the wiring is completely different.
I don't think a 94 vin W is TBI either. It's CPI.
If you don't have a lot to spend forget doing a swap. Your best bet would be find a good used 94 vin W 4.3 and replace what you have. A swap will cost more than buying a rebuilt 4.3 would and be less reliable.

·
Been there Done it
11,257 Posts
If you are totally in love with our truck, go to a junkyard and find a 1994 (can't be any other year) umolested 4wd vin Z 4.3 REAL TBI truck and take the complete wiring harness ( every single wire and connector) and dash, steering column, and fuel tank and lines out w/o cutting anything and convert your truck to TBI. Then a 88-95 TBI 5.7 would be a simple swap using that wiring harness and the 5.7 TBI ECM. The wiring would then be plug and play. Then just the usual mounts, exhaust, and cooling issues common to any SBC swap.
The existing CPI harness and computer are all wrong for any other engine. They never made CPI V8.
Or, as BK says buy another truck. Not only easier, but most likely a lot cheaper.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
everything about that engine and your truck wont be easy.

both are sort of oddballs, and in the end, you'll save more money buying another s10.
Thing is this truck has a lot of sentimental value so I want to make it run somehow

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you are totally in love with our truck, go to a junkyard and find a 1994 (can't be any other year) umolested 4wd vin Z 4.3 REAL TBI truck and take the complete wiring harness ( every single wire and connector) and dash, steering column, and fuel tank and lines out w/o cutting anything and convert your truck to TBI. Then a 88-95 TBI 5.7 would be a simple swap using that wiring harness and the 5.7 TBI ECM. The wiring would then be plug and play. Then just the usual mounts, exhaust, and cooling issues common to any SBC swap.
The existing CPI harness and computer are all wrong for any other engine. They never made CPI V8.
Or, as BK says buy another truck. Not only easier, but most likely a lot cheaper.
I won't replace this truck but I'm starting to think I'll try and rebuild the 4.3 if the block isn't cracked. I just had the 5.7 laying around collecting dust and figured it would be a fun swap if I figured out the kinks besides the usual SBC swaps

·
Been there Done it
11,257 Posts
The 97 Vortec 5.7 is a good reliable and very driveable motor. Problem is the electrical setup of the 94 CPI truck. If you do decide to swap it, I'd highly recommend a 98 4L60E behind the motor. The 94 4L60E's were still having problems since they were a relatively new design. By 98 they had all the bugs worked out. Use a 98 PCM also for the same reasons or better yet an 01-02 0411.
Probably the most popular swap computer.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
For my 1996, I removed every piece of factory wiring and threw it all away. I removed the steering column, and all the factory ac stuff and threw that all away as well. Then I installed an aftermarket wiring harness for the truck, an iddidit tilt steering column, and aftermarket ac.

I did an LS swap, and installed a standalone harness for the engine/trans. Standalone means it is separate from the truck harness.

The aftermarket air conditioning, has its own separate wiring harness.

Now I have a 1996 vehicle with all new power everything, and it acts like a brand new vehicle.

Is this a step everyone can do, no, but for a fun project someone can take it on in baby steps.

Would I swap an old fuel injection system into something I plan to drive? No way, there has been way too many advances in technology to run anything from the 90s anymore.

A take out running 5.3 LS from a truck is $375 at the local you pull it yard. No way would I ever think oif running GMs old terribly designed fuel injection systems of the 90s.

Just a though.

·
B4U Task Force Admin
28,698 Posts
You're getting some killer deals where you are...not here.

·
Registered
368 Posts
I have a used but untouched Vortec head to TBI intake manifold that I know I won't use, PM me if interested.
We ran one on my son's '93 with a big block throttle body and had the intake machined to match. That dude ran GOOD!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts