S-10 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
1996 Chevrolet S-10
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys as the title suggests, I'm planning on swapping a 350 small block in to a 1999 S10.

The motor is from a 1991 GMC utility van, and has about 150,000 k on it. I have the help of my father in law, who has done many engine swaps in his day. I will be running a carburetor which i picked up recently as I persoanlly like carburetors.
The truck is a 1999 Chevy S-10, with a 4.3l, stepside. It's white (not that color really matters right now), and it the "lowrider" version with the body kit dealio, and "Xtreme" badges on it.

I used to own a 96' s10, it had a 2.2 litre but was a 5-speed manual, and have regretted selling it, so I couldn't pass this truck up. My plan is to daily drive it for the rest of winter here in Manitoba, and then swap the engine in the spring, so that gives me some time to gather parts if need be.

So i have done a little bit of research on the subject, and so far the swap looks pretty straight forward, I've also come across a kit on summit racing that comes with engine mounts brackets, headers and some other stuff for about 500 CAD. MY question is, can someone point me in the proper direction for this build? or even a list of parts that I will need to buy to make this work? I'm planning on upgrading the engine, but before I start dumping money in there I'd like to get the minimum to make everything work.

·
Administrator
22,676 Posts
I'd start by reading up in the V8 Discussion Forum. The wrench turning shouldn't be too bad, but you have some searching and research to do since you're going carb. Transmission and gauges will require a bunch of work.

·
Been there Done it
7,897 Posts
Don't know what laws your province or country have on swapping engines, but you might want to check. In the USA it's a violation of Federal and some states laws to swap an old engine into a newer truck. If you have vehicle inspections that could be a problem as it will not pass.
If that's not a problem, trying to run a carb on a 99 is going to create a bunch of issues. The cost to over come them, particularly if it's an automatic, will likely be more than simply picking up a 96-02 L31 Vortec 5.7 and doing a cheap, easy, and legal swap.
The electrical system of a 99 really is not compatible with a carb. And on a 99 the electrical system controls everything.

·
LS3 Cruisin'
1,844 Posts
One thing in the 99's and a number of other years, is the black box on the passenger inner fender controls not only the engine but also the transmission. That truck is equipped with a 4L60E, literally meaning "Electronic". It will not work without a computer connected to it. You can get an aftermarket trans controller of course, but as oldeer says, that's more work and more money.

Without a computer, some of your stock gauges won't work either.

oldeer's advice is the best your gonna get on this subject, it is simple, find a 96-02 L31 and swap it, pin in two more injectors on the existing harness and call it done. You're asking for a lot of extra work and wasted money to reach the same goal. Not only that but the stock EFI on the L31 is vastly superior to any carb in terms of daily driving, all weather and altitude conditions etc.

If its the 91 350 that your heart is set on, look for an older S-10, a first generation is ideal.

·
Been there Done it
7,897 Posts
Since you're in Toronto do you know if it's even legal in Canada to put a 91 engine in a 99?

·
LS3 Cruisin'
1,844 Posts
Short answer is no. Not unless it was modified to basically be an L31 with the emissions controls and fuel injection system.

But the government here stopped E-testing all together. The hod rodder industry is effectively dying off here (literally), and the government figures most new vehicles are so good from the factory now that the days of oil burners and guys gutting cats are probably long past and mandatory inspection/testing is just a waste of money (it is).

In a sense it has become the wild west here again.

The stupid answer is you can basically swap anything you want here now... and you'll only be caught if you're extremely stupid. The police (OPP) don't actively enforce vehicle standards, only the ministry of transporation does (MTO). Most of the time the MTO is focused on heavy vehicles and the illegal VW/Dodge diesels, as well as the guys who roll coal which was a thing for about a year here until a bunch got slapped with big fines, now you don't see it anymore. I talked to an MTO guy about a year ago and I asked "how do you catch the guys with the chipped/tuned diesels?" his response "easy... soot at the pipes, if its emissions compliant it doesn't produce soot".

·
1996 Chevrolet S-10
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'd start by reading up in the V8 Discussion Forum. The wrench turning shouldn't be too bad, but you have some searching and research to do since you're going carb. Transmission and gauges will require a bunch of work.
Will do, thanks for responding!

·
1996 Chevrolet S-10
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh okay, that makes
Don't know what laws your province or country have on swapping engines, but you might want to check. In the USA it's a violation of Federal and some states laws to swap an old engine into a newer truck. If you have vehicle inspections that could be a problem as it will not pass.
If that's not a problem, trying to run a carb on a 99 is going to create a bunch of issues. The cost to over come them, particularly if it's an automatic, will likely be more than simply picking up a 96-02 L31 Vortec 5.7 and doing a cheap, easy, and legal swap.
The electrical system of a 99 really is not compatible with a carb. And on a 99 the electrical system controls everything.
Oh okay, I don't have to worry too much about legality of the swap here, unless I'm racing on the street; I hadn't thought of the electrical system, so thank you for the info! I may consider other options.

·
1996 Chevrolet S-10
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
One thing in the 99's and a number of other years, is the black box on the passenger inner fender controls not only the engine but also the transmission. That truck is equipped with a 4L60E, literally meaning "Electronic". It will not work without a computer connected to it. You can get an aftermarket trans controller of course, but as oldeer says, that's more work and more money.

Without a computer, some of your stock gauges won't work either.

oldeer's advice is the best your gonna get on this subject, it is simple, find a 96-02 L31 and swap it, pin in two more injectors on the existing harness and call it done. You're asking for a lot of extra work and wasted money to reach the same goal. Not only that but the stock EFI on the L31 is vastly superior to any carb in terms of daily driving, all weather and altitude conditions etc.

If its the 91 350 that your heart is set on, look for an older S-10, a first generation is ideal.
Thank you for the information, I will be doing some more thinking about this swap, sounds more hectic than I thought.

·
1996 Chevrolet S-10
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Since you're in Toronto do you know if it's even legal in Canada to put a 91 engine in a 99?
I'm not from Toronto, furthest I've ever been in to Ontario is Kenora.

·
1996 Chevrolet S-10
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Short answer is no. Not unless it was modified to basically be an L31 with the emissions controls and fuel injection system.

But the government here stopped E-testing all together. The hod rodder industry is effectively dying off here (literally), and the government figures most new vehicles are so good from the factory now that the days of oil burners and guys gutting cats are probably long past and mandatory inspection/testing is just a waste of money (it is).

In a sense it has become the wild west here again.

The stupid answer is you can basically swap anything you want here now... and you'll only be caught if you're extremely stupid. The police (OPP) don't actively enforce vehicle standards, only the ministry of transporation does (MTO). Most of the time the MTO is focused on heavy vehicles and the illegal VW/Dodge diesels, as well as the guys who roll coal which was a thing for about a year here until a bunch got slapped with big fines, now you don't see it anymore. I talked to an MTO guy about a year ago and I asked "how do you catch the guys with the chipped/tuned diesels?" his response "easy... soot at the pipes, if its emissions compliant it doesn't produce soot".
Ontario sounds crappy..

·
Been there Done it
7,897 Posts
You 2 countrymen can discuss that.
Personally I liked Toronto when I was last there. I'm was raised near Buffalo and we vacationed in Ontario quite often.
I remember one cute little redhead that worked in a bakery. She must have been from Montreal because of her strong French accent. That was 57 years ago and I can still see her face. Must have made more of an impression on me than I realized at the time.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts