S-10 Forum banner

Based solely on dependablility and longevity which is the best engine ?

• LS 6.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Been there Done it
11,462 Posts
Which came first the chicken or the egg?

What is with the "Multiple votes allowed"?
Please,let's not go there.
I tried to vote once for each but after placing the first vote it won't let me vote again.

Are we voting on the engines reliability or the total systems reliability including accessories and sensors?
The reason I ask is an LS can be setup with a carb, etc. To be totally honest I have never heard anyone mention what kind of fuel mileage a carbed LS gets. Doubt it's very good. And since most are race engines the longevity isn't going to be there either.

·
Premium Member
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Which came first the chicken or the egg?

What is with the "Multiple votes allowed"?
Please,let's not go there.
I tried to vote once for each but after placing the first vote it won't let me vote again.

Are we voting on the engines reliability or the total systems reliability including accessories and sensors?
The reason I ask is an LS can be setup with a carb, etc. To be totally honest I have never heard anyone mention what kind of fuel mileage a carbed LS gets. Doubt it's very good. And since most are race engines the longevity isn't going to be there either.
I did not set it to "multiple votes allowed" and could not find out how to remove it. We are talking about the block, ignition system and fuel delivery system. You know like sbc hei has the entire ignition including the coil in one long lasting unit, where the LS has a massive ignition system with WAY more components to fail. Also, Mechanical fuel pumps.....takes 5 min to change and two bolts, but hey, if you would rather remove your tank or your bed to change the fuel pump, good for you, LOL. Anyone that tells me coil packs, crank triggers, ECU's etc. is more dependable than a simple HEI stock setup........lol. The LS has more HP, starts way better, prob better mpg, this poll is purely on dependability of each motor in its stock form.

·
Registered
407 Posts
165000 miles on my Yukon - been flawless. If older was better that's what manufactures would be using. (by the way I'm old school)

·
Premium Member
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
you should change it to LS platform. you have 6.0 listed, and i wont touch a 6.0 unless the customer absolutely wants to spend the money on it. 4.8/5.3 is the best choice in my eyes
You know more about it than I do lol, I didn't even know they made a 4.8/5.3.... My bad. I give up, I am heavily outnumbered. I am old and I like what I like. Shame on me for only having 2 vacuum hoses and no crank triggers, no coil packs, no massive wiring harness, no 500 dollar fuel pump in the tank, no O2 sensors, no maf sensors, no tps sensors, no sensor sensors, no ECM, no bla bla bla. And SHAME on me for liking to see my engine other than a mass of wires and hoses..... You guys pay big money for all that electronic crap I have NO use for lol. You guys won ! I give up.

·
Premium Member
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
165000 miles on my Yukon - been flawless. If older was better that's what manufactures would be using. (by the way I'm old school)
Yup and wend it falls down $$$$$$ to rebuild it. IF you want to bore sleeves LOL.
Hot rod magazine..... :
Bluntly, in terms of accepting traditional standard overbores, LS1 blocks should be considered "throwaway" castings: They accept virtually no overbore at all, even if running normally aspirated.

Soooo I can run my sbc 200k, bore it .010 over and rebuild it for 300 bucks. THEN I can drive it 200k, and bore it .020 over and drive it 200k. THEN I can bore it over .030 and drive it 200k. THEN I can bore it over .040 over and drive it 200k..... need I go on. Disposable blocks loaded with emissions and electronic crap are better.....ok let's go with that, LOL.

I actually know nothing about LS motors, the more I learn the more I will stick with my SBC. Can't bore it over, gtfooh, LOL.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Ironduker there is nothing wrong with what you want to do, just do it. I'm probably older than than you and I'm old school also. There isn't any real comparison between the two - it's like trying to compare a commodore 64 to a newer computer.

s10 eng.JPG

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
You know more about it than I do lol, I didn't even know they made a 4.8/5.3....
My bad. I give up…..and SHAME on me for liking to see my engine other than a mass of wires and hoses.....
A mass of wires and hoses, man, you really don’t get it. But that is fine, w all will do what we are used to. There is a time and place for everything, no hating on that. I like both engines. I have both engines. They each have their own purpose. My 496 is in my 1964 scout. You cant beat nearly 500 lbs of torque at idle…you know as well as I do, an LS wont do that.
Yup and wend it falls down $$$$$$ to rebuild it….I actually know nothing about LS motors, the more I learn the more I will stick with my SBC. Can't bore it over, gtfooh, LOL.
not sure where you got the cant over bore it information at, or the ‘throw away engine’ info either. All 4 of my LS engines have been overbored. Trust me, get one and play with it, you’ll be convinced. If I remember correctly, the stock bottom end record holder is at 1200 horspeower and in the 7 second range. I don’t care what motor you love, that is very impressive. I have personally been in cars we have slapt together and went 9s with a junkyard engine. Only swapped cam and springs. These ‘junk’ engines are incredible. You don’t need all the fancy stuff you have described, you can slap a carb on and call it a day.

…There isn't any real comparison between the two - it's like trying to compare a commodore 64 to a newer computer.
..even the commodore 64 got old, and they needed the 128 to keep up with evolution…

Check out this great looking ford LS engine.. your imagination is the only limit on what you can do.
Enjoy your weekend, keep on truckin’

·
Horsepower Addict
214 Posts
Soooo I can run my sbc 200k, bore it .010 over and rebuild it for 300 bucks. THEN I can drive it 200k, and bore it .020 over and drive it 200k. THEN I can bore it over .030 and drive it 200k. THEN I can bore it over .040 over and drive it 200k..... need I go on. Disposable blocks loaded with emissions and electronic crap are better.....ok let's go with that, LOL.

I actually know nothing about LS motors, the more I learn the more I will stick with my SBC. Can't bore it over, gtfooh, LOL.
Your comparisons are not entirely equal nor is that you think a SBC goes routinely to 200K
between rebuilds.... especially if carbureted.

If is does get rebuilt you typically aren't boring .010 either... it usually needs .030
You also aren't getting it bored & buying pistons for $300
I worked in a garage/machine shop just out of high school & saw hundreds of rebuilds.

Oldsmobile engines typically had the best/most durable bores of any vehicle. 100K & still see the cross hatch
Ford 351/400M were the worst with most needing .030 at 50,000mi.

Most SBC's were pretty thrashed at 100-120K.
Especially flat tappet cams in engines that died in the 80-100K range.
Also the HEI ignition you mention likes to eat rotors, coils & also the magnetic pickups.
Lets not get into how many times the carb needs rebuilt / a new accelerator pump etc. especially with todays gas.

Move up the new fuel injected Vortec SBC's & engine life goes up substantially with a roller cam, but complexity with electronics is approaching the LS platform,
except you retain a maintenance laden distributor here as well.

As for the LS engine, I've seen many in the 160-200K range with nothing done to them.
I have a 01 Yukon w/ 5.3. Still has the stock plugs in it.... nothing but air filter & oil changes.

You can routinely take apart a LS engine with 150K & the bores are generally still very nice.
Also, you can bore an iron 5.3/6.0 but the aluminum blocks are only good for a slight .005 hone typically... though that all most require if well maintained.

Now back to reality.... not many people keep a vehicle for 500,000mi. so lets redefine reliability.
Do you take tune ups into this equation? Either change your cap & rotor or potentially get stranded.

What would be nice is to drive something regularly & only change the oil & filters.
Part of my reliability equation... is no tune ups.

·
Premium Member
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Your comparisons are not entirely equal nor is that you think a SBC goes routinely to 200K
between rebuilds.... especially if carbureted.

If is does get rebuilt you typically aren't boring .010 either... it usually needs .030
You also aren't getting it bored & buying pistons for $300
I worked in a garage/machine shop just out of high school & saw hundreds of rebuilds.

Oldsmobile engines typically had the best/most durable bores of any vehicle. 100K & still see the cross hatch
Ford 351/400M were the worst with most needing .030 at 50,000mi.

Most SBC's were pretty thrashed at 100-120K.
Especially flat tappet cams in engines that died in the 80-100K range.
Also the HEI ignition you mention likes to eat rotors, coils & also the magnetic pickups.
Lets not get into how many times the carb needs rebuilt / a new accelerator pump etc. especially with todays gas.

Move up the new fuel injected Vortec SBC's & engine life goes up substantially with a roller cam, but complexity with electronics is approaching the LS platform,
except you retain a maintenance laden distributor here as well.

As for the LS engine, I've seen many in the 160-200K range with nothing done to them.
I have a 01 Yukon w/ 5.3. Still has the stock plugs in it.... nothing but air filter & oil changes.

You can routinely take apart a LS engine with 150K & the bores are generally still very nice.
Also, you can bore an iron 5.3/6.0 but the aluminum blocks are only good for a slight .005 hone typically... though that all most require if well maintained.

Now back to reality.... not many people keep a vehicle for 500,000mi. so lets redefine reliability.
Do you take tune ups into this equation? Either change your cap & rotor or potentially get stranded.

What would be nice is to drive something regularly & only change the oil & filters.
Part of my reliability equation... is no tune ups.
Calling me a liar ? Can't get 200k on a 350 ?, B.S. I have seen 300k on a 305 before a rebuild. Anyone telling me that tons of electronics and wiring doesn't make a engine less reliable is BS. The more things that can go wrong, the more chances that something will go wrong. Simple as that. I have a 71 El Camino, tubbed and narrowed with a sbc that will pull the front wheels, too bad its not a LS or it would run good, LOL. Too bad it has a TH350 or it would shift good, LOL. Seems to me people bashing the sbc don't know what they are talking about. Best engine in the history of the world.

·
B4U Task Force Admin
29,010 Posts
What's going wrong lately is all of the antagonism in these threads about what's better. If it doesn't stop...now, people are going to be standing in the corner with Willie Oleson. Who's first?

·
Premium Member
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have been repeatedly attacked for my views, I am sorry this got out of hand, and I have made comments I am not proud of. But frankly I never thought I would be attacked and ridiculed for liking the 350 in a Chevy forum that has a V8 swap section in it. They drew first blood, I defended myself, and I will continue to. I am done with the subject but please take a sec to look at my other posts, I am not a **** starter and am simply here to try and help people when I can and get help when I need it. I have been a member for years and this is the first time their has been a problem. I cannot be silent when attacked so maybe this forum is not for me. Please don't ban me, I will gladly delete my account if you like.

·
B4U Task Force Admin
29,010 Posts
I have been repeatedly attacked for my views, I am sorry this got out of hand, and I have made comments I am not proud of. But frankly I never thought I would be attacked and ridiculed for liking the 350 in a Chevy forum that has a V8 swap section in it. They drew first blood, I defended myself, and I will continue to. I am done with the subject but please take a sec to look at my other posts, I am not a **** starter and am simply here to try and help people when I can and get help when I need it. I have been a member for years and this is the first time their has been a problem. I cannot be silent when attacked so maybe this forum is not for me. Please don't ban me, I will gladly delete my account if you like.
Everyone is free to express their views..popular or not. But when it gets down to degrading another persons views, that's something else. Some people like SBC's...perfect...some like LSx...perfect. There's no need to pull it out to see who's bigger. Just because we disagree, that's no reason to jump on someone. Sometimes it's just best to let it go.

No need for a ban or deletion.

·
Horsepower Addict
214 Posts
No one is attacking you... you asked for opinions & are getting them.

If you got 300K on a 305, good for you. It is not typical though.
Most are junk well before that.

I've built tons of SBC's & own quite a few so I have nothing against them.
I'm not young or biased against them. I grew up with these engines.

With that said, I also like LS engines more every day because I see the power potential & the fact they are gaining in popularity, similar to what the SBC did over the years. Speaking as an engineer & car guy, I'll continue to see things based on fact & not blind opinion or a justification of what I own is better than what someone else has. They aren't without flaws, but I'm clearly moving with the current trends as I like what I see.

I also own a few Olds & Big Block Chevys, not to mention I built many various makes & models to get a good view of the shortcomings of each.

To each his own.....

·
Registered
407 Posts
If anyone is being attacked for their views your doing the attacking. Going over your threads I get a lot of I don't know about this or that and yet highly opinionated ("350 best motor ever, talk till your blue in the face won't change my mind") You have the rights to what you think and I respect that BUT so do other members on this forum and if they don't agree with you so be it. So you have a SBC in a tubed El Camino that will pull the front tires, what's that got to do with anything?? Sit back have a beer and enjoy the conversation. We still love you!

·
Registered
1,661 Posts

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.