10:1 compression (i think)
upgraded to electronic ignition
headers
high vol. oil pump

Thanks

·
Registered
28 Posts
I would say that 350hp would be a good estimate conservatively. My quess is with the Rv cam the torque should be nice for street use. Is this something you plan on putting in your s-10?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes this 350 is what i plan on dropping into my s-10

·
Registered
28 Posts
Cool it should make off roading fun. I am sure you thought of this since it is listed at the bottom of your post, but keeping the 700r4 and beefing it up is the best idea for something used often on the street. I saw a early style s-10 4 by 4 in an auto trader it had a 350 jacked up sky high with huge tires man it was nice. Good luck

would you know of the best way to post pics I would like to show off my bro's s-10. appreciate it

·
Registered
32 Posts
Watch that oil pump...

You don't want a high volume oil pump unless your block was specifically machined for it. The oil returns in your block aren't big enough and that pump will put all your oil up in the valve covers and rocker valley and it won't be able to come down fast enough. This will starve the bottom end of oil and possibly destroy your engine. But if you had the returns enlarged, it should be pretty sweet.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
oh the pump is nothing special, just a little nicer than stock.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Try this site....

I am not exactly sure, but try fastmotorsports.com, of just look up fast motor sports. They have a "Cook Book" for a 290 hp 350, and it is almost exactly the same as yours except it has lower compression. So yours will probably make like 305 to 310 hp, in my opinion. That RV cam should make for nice driving and a sweet exhaust note.

Are you the one in a different post wondering about an oil pan clearance problem? I checked my Summit catalog, and the oil pan plus pickup is $250. It is supposed to make it a lot easier though.

Good luck!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yeah i was in another post asking about oil pan clearance. But i wanted to try to stay away from buying that oil pan for 250.

·
Just Call Me Dick
305 Posts
how often do you go off road? reason i asked is you said you were going to use a 350 trans with that motor. with alot of hard use a 350 is not a good trans to run with alot of power. personally if it was me i would buy a good 400 trans and beef it up cause if you build them up right they are like bulletproof. i should know built 3 350 trans for a guy in one month and then he went to a 400. have not build one for him since and that was back in spring.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
actually i really wont be doing much offroad at all. Just in town driving. so i thought my fathers th350 would be alright for this. i just need to get it rebuilt before i drop it in. do you think i should run a stall converter or just a stock torque converter.

·
Registered
32 Posts
My 2 cents....

Is to stay with the 700R4. Not only will this provide better acceleration than the TH350 due to a steeper first gear, it will also give you lower cruising RPM's which should help your gas mileage. I would advise sticking with the stock converter in either case, as your relatively mild 350 will be making a bunch of torque but not a lot of RPM, which would be why you would need a higher stall speed. Yep, stay with the 700R4 and I guarantee you will be happier. Heck, I am putting a 700R4 behind my 396. Also, you should really match your rear end gears with your tranny. With a TH350, go to like 3.08 or 3.27 to 1, with a 700R4 go to like 3.42 or 3.73 to 1. Your cruise RPM will be the same either way. But if you run a 4.10 behind your TH350, you will be mad when it tops out at 85 MPH like my dads old 3/4 ton.

Hope that's useful,
Nat

·
Just Call Me Dick
305 Posts
you said you were going to drive it around town. then i would just use a stock converter cause you would prob not notice the stall converter unless you do a lot of racing.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts