S-10 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Allright im buying a 350 block for $50.. its has nothing on it.. not even the caps or anything its just the strait block.. i'm wanting to build it up and swap it into my S-15.. but my question is.. What do i need??.. like everything to go from block to running??.. help me out guys..

·
Vandelay Industries
6,018 Posts
ummm alot of stuff. crank shaft, rod and main bearings, pistons, piston rods, by caps i guess you mean freeze plugs, oil pump, screen/pickup, driveshaft, gaskets push rods, heads some type of rockers, piston rings, cam, lifters, intake, damper, pulleys, alternator water pump steering pump oil pan, intake, carb or fuel injection set up, hardware (bolt kit) , hoses, belts, plugs, distributor, exahust, flywheel, starter.......

·
LSx and V8 Mod
4,204 Posts
Have you even had the block checked to see if its any good by a professional? You realize your going to have about $500-800 minimum tied up in getting the block ready, especially with no main caps. And thats if its a good block to start with.

Then you have to buy everyhting else. Crate engines sound better and better in some situations....

·
Vandelay Industries
6,018 Posts
oh yeah i forgot main caps. thats probalby the 'caps" he was referring to in the first post. i was thinking freeze plugs for some reason.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Shop around for a diff block, $50 for a BARE block is way to much. Mainly cause you will have to fet caps then have it lined bored, not cheap. I live an hour north of Ponca and i can get pretty well complete 350's all day long for less than $100, they need rebuilt of course but alot less money for more stuff.

·
Registered
471 Posts
yea the pull a part yards around here get 99.95 for a complete engine you pull it of course but thats everything

·
BADDEST TRUCK IN DFW
2,089 Posts
I have a 355ci SBC ready to put togather... If you want to drive down here the other side of Texas to get it..That block you have isn't worth the $50 if it's bare. You will have to get main caps then have them line honed just to get them matched up thats $200, then after the vat, dip, xray, flux, bore, cam bearings,freeze plugs and ect... Your gona have $800 in the block thats only a 355ci SBC...If you want to get with me or somebody else even to get a good usable block that would be better for you.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
10.5_SUCKS said:
I have a 355ci SBC ready to put togather... If you want to drive down here the other side of Texas to get it..That block you have isn't worth the $50 if it's bare. You will have to get main caps then have them line honed just to get them matched up thats $200, then after the vat, dip, xray, flux, bore, cam bearings,freeze plugs and ect... Your gona have $800 in the block thats only a 355ci SBC...If you want to get with me or somebody else even to get a good usable block that would be better for you.
well how much you asking for it?? and what all does it come with??

·
BADDEST TRUCK IN DFW
2,089 Posts
block, cam bearings (installed) and freeze plugs (installed) I personally would have it revatted and checked w/ new plugs and bearings but the hard part is done. The bore... I also have 10.6:1 forged slugs, and 5.7" rods a cam and an oil pan, fuel pump, lol...Look in my sig

·
Registered
812 Posts
I bought a complete long block for $50 and threw the heads in the trash lol I'm using the rods and crank though. The local performance shop charged me $225 to bore and hone and install new cam bearings and freeze plugs. $80 to turn the crank $150 to resize the rods and install arp bolts. the rebuild kit with speed pro hyperutectic pistons was $350 so I have around $805 in the short block.
I also have to buy a balancer and flexplate since the engine didn't have them on it. You would be better off buying a complete engine, I wish I would have and you are worse off than I am since you just have the bare block to start with.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts