S-10 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the 327 works with lots of rpms,and you can use the holly system on it.I have a set of webers for a small block if you want something different!They work good on a high revin engine.anything over 375hp will get real expensive for the 327 and because its an old motor it probally doesnt have hardened valve seats in the heads.You can use the 305 small chamber heads and boost your compression at the same time ,if you are not going to hop it up to much.I have built several so if you need details feel free to ask.

Attachments

·
Registered
618 Posts
My 327

I had a friend of mine punch in some numbers on his dyno program and this is what he came up with. The graph is comparing to manifolds one is a dual plane one is a single(the higher of the two) that I am replacing it with. Gotta love high revving motors. Lemme rephrase that high revving V8's.

Attachments

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
what kind of heads did you tpye in?

That old comp cams solid lifter bumpstick with224/224 dur.and 495 lift would rock and roll in a 327!The 327 in the pic has ported torqer2 heads, dual plane hi-rise roller tip rockers and a comp hyd.roller with 218/224 dur.and 498/502 lift ,650 demon,and DUI distributor.The desk top said 385 hp and 416 lb torque. it should move the old 56 belair movin.

·
Registered
618 Posts
They are chevy doublehumps I dont remember the exact casting number on them I think maybe "621" but I am prabably wrong. They are also reffered to as fuilie heads. They are an old type of head pre smogger stuff. The are comparable to vortecs. Oh yeah they dont have acc. holes in the head for mounting brackets. My alternator has a mid mount bracket that mounts just to the water pump and the p/s mounts to the water pump and the header flange.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
heads

I am very familiar with the heads,I just sent a pair out for rebuilding to put on an iso griffo.(only because it is a rare sports car,and they were orig.on it.)They are not as good as the vortecs in flow and they dont have hardened seats ,(unless they have been reworked already)they also tend to crack between the valve seats and that leads to an expensive repair .Have them checked out by a pro.before you invest money in them!the vortecs are inexpensive and offer good flow although you will need an intake extra for them.they have a different bolt pattern.think about your choice wisely and you will only invest one time.anyway if you choose a large hipo cam, screw- in studs are a cheap must, which ever head you choose.Here in Germany the company opel built a model called the diplomat and it had the old 327 in it.they were balanced and blue- printed here in germany and used the camel hump heads until 1974 if Im not mistaken,chevy stopped using them in 68 or 69.I think I would sell them to someone restoring an old chevy back to original and spend the money on some aftermarket models or the above stated vortecs.Super chevy done an article a while back and flow tested all chevy heads maybe you can write them and get a copy.No small block man should be wit out them.

·
Registered
618 Posts
The heads I have are already reworked and have hardend seats. I only plan on using them for a year or so until my budget permits me to buy a good aftermarket set I'm thinking AFR's I have heard alot of good things about them. I will deffinitly be selling them to a restorer then. But that wont happen until I get a forged pistons and a good set of connecting rods hopefully good to atleast 8000rpm and up to atleast 650hp.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts