S-10 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Unmotivated
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have useful links for old 327 sbc's? I want to swap my 4 banger out for the classic 327! Things like year to year differences and general information. Also links for good performance parts. I basically want a stock looking engine in my 1st gen. The whole theme is supposed to belong in the 60's. Now that I'm not driving it I can start.

Also I'm looking for figures around 400hp/tq.

·
minimum wagn' it to glory
532 Posts
those engines' stock numbers are not true in todays world, these engines make different power without lead in the gas.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
They're essentially the same as most other SBCs, except that they don't have roller cams and the heads generally suck. IMHO, get a vortec block and heads, and throw in a 3.25" crank and you'll have a 327 that scoots, but probably not 400hp\tq, unless you put in a BIG cam.

·
It's "Neanderthal"
5,411 Posts
You have a big selection of cams and heads to choose from. Vortec heads are OK but you'd still want to upgrade those to screw-in rocker studs and better springs for a healthy cam, and even machine the valve bosses to allow more lift. You can even get aluminum heads that are ready to go, and paint them chevy orange to keep with the 60's theme. Same with an aluminum intake, just grind off the "edelbrock" or "weiand" script.
Actual 60's parts like heads and intake just aren't as well designed as todays stuff. Even out-of-the-box vortec heads blow away anything available in the 60'sand any iron intake from that era will be a restriction.
These things won't really fool anyone into thinking it's an antique, but chevy orange will give it that 60's vibe.

·
Landscaper
231 Posts
I have a 1968 327 Block with an October 20'th manufacture date. It is HC Coded so it was true to 275hp on a 4 barrel carb/intake/Heads.

I also have the crankshaft, rods, and timing cover. It's already been baked, blasted and checked too.

If you're up for a build, I'll sell it too you. Have to have cash for a pet surgery.

·
Longbeds FTMFW
8,623 Posts
I have a '69 327 in my truck. MIne was a 235hp edition with the garbage heads on it. It would benefit from a set of decent heads. ONe day it will see a set of vortecs.

There are tons of performance goodies for em....

·
Registered
269 Posts
I have a '69 327 in my truck. MIne was a 235hp edition with the garbage heads on it. It would benefit from a set of decent heads. ONe day it will see a set of vortecs.

There are tons of performance goodies for em....
I think it is one of the lowest output years (and '69 is also the last), it's also what came stock in my '69 Impala. In stock form, it was still able to get that boat moving pretty well. Mild cam, 4barrel carb and 2.02/1.60 heads, it's even better now (and has crappy 2.73 rear). With more gear, more converter and headers, it would be downright fun.

For power and efficiency, it's hard to beat a good 'ol 327.

·
Bold as Love
1,869 Posts
You could always find a 307, and swap the crankshaft into a later model 350 and have an instant 327. Its pretty much a large journal 327 crank. I'm not sure on what rods and pistons you'd have to use, or the high speed and high horsepower ability of these cranks.

Or you could keep it a 350 and just doll it up to look the part. But bigger isn't always better I suppose. Every motor has different characteristics and driving qualities. And sometimes its just more fun to not have to say "350".

·
Longbeds FTMFW
8,623 Posts
I think it is one of the lowest output years (and '69 is also the last), it's also what came stock in my '69 Impala. In stock form, it was still able to get that boat moving pretty well. Mild cam, 4barrel carb and 2.02/1.60 heads, it's even better now (and has crappy 2.73 rear). With more gear, more converter and headers, it would be downright fun.

For power and efficiency, it's hard to beat a good 'ol 327.
mine was out of a 2 door caprice. that thing was a boat!
Mine has a 2800stall in it with 3.73's, a piece of shit edelbrock carb and some other goodies.

Yeah, its quite fun to drive:D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts