S-10 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I put a sbc 305 into my 2000 s10 after the 2.2 blew and it came with a th350 and I had previously put a mini spool into the rear end. Earlier today I laid my foot down and the trans broke, looked under the truck and the driveshaft wasn't spinning. I pushed the truck and I looked to make sure the driveshaft was spinning, but nothing. So I already have the mindset that I need a new transmission and differential, for the transmission I am contemplating on a 700r4. Anyways, my question is what rear end can I easily put in the truck that will hold up better than the 2.2 rear end? Does the ford 9" easily fit or does it require quite a bit of modification?

·
Engineer
2003 S10 4.3L 4wd Crew Cab
96 Posts
9" would be the best thing you could fit under there now, but you would have to get it narrowed. A ford 8.8 would fit under there no problem for a much better price too. Search the forums, there are a lot of old threads that can be dug up on the topic.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Here is the best write up on the net, basic and to the point.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Have you checked the minispool? If that is the same thing that we called minispools in our oval track trucks, you may have broke the crossbar. Can't image successfully running a locked rear end on the street.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Have you checked the minispool? If that is the same thing that we called minispools in our oval track trucks, you may have broke the crossbar. Can't image successfully running a locked rear end on the street.
I haven’t opened the rear end yet, I’m going to open it today and see what is wrong with it, I only had the mini spool in it because I liked dumping the clutch with the 4 banger, guess the 305 was too strong tho.

·
Registered
43 Posts
If you broke the cross pin it wouldn't be because you dumped the clutch, it would likely be because you made turns. The outside wheel has to turn more and the spool prevents that. So either the tire slips or the pin or an axle breaks. Usually the tire will slip.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you broke the cross pin it wouldn't be because you dumped the clutch, it would likely be because you made turns. The outside wheel has to turn more and the spool prevents that. So either the tire slips or the pin or an axle breaks. Usually the tire will slip.
I finally got around to opening the rear end and it turns out that ALL of the carrier bolts broke. Never seen that before.

·
Been there Done it
11,874 Posts
Another used rear end isn't very pricey if you shop around. I'd wouldn't pay over $100 for an open rear end out of a 2.2.
If you're going to continue dumping the clutch for fun you might want to pick up a spare.

·
Registered
434 Posts
The mighty 305 strikes again!!!
We have a local sprint class that mandates 'em. Takes a lot of cash to get a lot of power out of em due to the small bore's breathing restrictions.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Another used rear end isn't very pricey if you shop around. I'd wouldn't pay over $100 for an open rear end out of a 2.2.
If you're going to continue dumping the clutch for fun you might want to pick up a spare.
I’ve been thinking about putting a limited slip carrier in it instead of swapping a whole different rear end like a 8.8, I’m pretty sure it’ll hold up better than that mini spool.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I forgot about carrier bolts breaking. I've seen that a couple of times on circle track trucks with mini spools and OEM carrier bolts. . A mini spool is a cheap, easy to install method of making both rear wheels turn at the same rate. I know its been done a thousand times, but Its horrible for the street or road racing and invites a variety of problems.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
You can always put an 8.8 in there from an Explorer. You will most likely not have to swap another rear end again......
Wheel options are simple, use a Mustang wheel, Ranger wheel or you can have the axles and rotors redrilled for Chevy pattern then use Corvette wheels, 3 and 4 gen camaro/firebird wheels.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts