S-10 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maybe some of you can help me out im new to the whole v8 swap. First I understand how im going to put the motor in and so forth. My problem is I want to really build it up and get like over 300 horsepower out of it. Is this possible and would it cost me alot of money. I know your all gonna say get a 350 yes I would love to get a 350 but I dont think no one want to buy this 305 off me. Its an excellent motor ran great when I pulled it out of the vehicle came out of my 1987 grand prix. Heres the casting number 14093627 87-91 305 Roller cam one-piece rear seal . Can you people help me or help me sell this in order to get rid of it. Thanks

·
footbraker
1,236 Posts
It would cost you more to get 300hp out of that engine than it would to buy a 350 and do the same. The heads on that motor are junk above 4500 rpm.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah im trying to get rid of it. You think someone would buy it for 600. Its only has a little over 60,000 on it and come with everything for the swap except a radiator and motor mounts. Also would you happen to no anyone that has an older 327 for sale.

·
footbraker
1,236 Posts
350's dime a dozen around here, 327 not so common. You could always put the 305 in until you get a different long block. Extra work though (changing motor twice). Either way dont waste time trying to build up that 305.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I got my 305 with 80xxx miles for $125 with a good 700R4. It was out of a '92 Camaro RS, I didn't use it in the Jimmy though, I dropped it into my 2.8L Firebird. Anyway, I doubt you will get much for that 305 unless someone blows an engine and is looking for a direct replacement.

·
Project: Sabriel
12,507 Posts
ebay. people buy ANYTHING on there. you can build a 305 decently; however, a 350 would be a much better investment, even if you leave the 305 alone and save the mod money and spend it on a 350. you can go Chevy 302, 327, 350, 383 with a 350 block, i think. there is also a MASSIVE 350 aftermarket industry.

·
footbraker
1,236 Posts
Problem with the 305 is the small bore limits valve size and therefore breathing/RPM potential. Combined with the smaller displacement and it becomes the special olympics of V8's. You can spend $1300+ on a set of milled AFR heads and only see 330 hp without power adders. My stock, used, '76 350 with a mild(267 adv.) cam and intake makes around 300 hp and I have less than $500 in the motor.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
yea man Rhansen is right you can spend a ton of money on a 305 & only get small rewards {ie: horsepower & torque} if you spend the same amount on a 350 or small block 400 you can get great results. You can buy a 350 at a salvage yard cheap. Even cheaper if you pull it yourself. Also cheap local ads.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
If you find a junk car with low miles that would be a start. Take some tools,wire ,remote starter button & some gas . That way you can hot wire the engine & start it to see what it sounds like. If the yard will not let you do that then just check the oil for water & stuff like that. If you have any doubts then you have to disassembe the engine & have a good machine shop check it for you.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts