S-10 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Dr. Pepper is ma BITCH
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, don't let the name fool you, I like S10's as much as the next guy. Anyways, I was hoping you could help me out. My dad wants to pick up an 84' 2.8L S10 to do a 305 or 350 swap on and was wondering if this would be a good choice. It is an 84' extended cab with a 2.8 and either a 4-speed or an auto. Is there anything wierd about this truck that would make it a bad candidate for a V8 swap or is it as good as any other first generation S10? Thanks for any help and tips you can offer, I appreciate them.

·
Yeah, still on the bottle
201 Posts
Go with a 350... 305 is just not worth the time. You can much more fun with a 350 plus the add-ons that are offered are more easily. Thats the best way to go. :thumbup:

·
STRONG LIKE BULL
170 Posts
i second that motion

350 all the way

theres nothing different with that truck then any others

itll work fine

·
Dr. Pepper is ma BITCH
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Alright, I'm getting a 350 vibe here, so I'll go with it and ask a few more questions. We are going to go with a carbeurated motor so we thought that the 305 would give a good comprimise between fuel economy and performance. It will be a daily driver so the former would be important. Would you still say a carbed 350 over a carbed 305? How much different would it be performance wise and also fuel economy wise? We are not cheap-asses, so if it is not much different, we will go with a 350. Any opinions on that? Thanks agin for the help, it is much appreciated.:)

·
Yeah, still on the bottle
201 Posts
Doesn't matter on fuel economy... U can a big block run good... It all depends what you planning on doing with it. My LT1 in my truck gets about 16-17city and 19-21 on hwy.. and I'm cranking close to 500hp... That extra 45 more cubes makes a difference.. Bigger the displacement less the engine has to work. So, effinency wise, 350 will work better than a 305. Make sure do get a 4-bolt main if you do go with a 350.. If ya ever do decide to get crazy with the motor. B/c like any other V8 swapper, once just dropping in a stock 350, just ain't enough power.. One thing will lead to another... It's an addiction... my engine was rated at 300hp stock.. now i'm up too 497hp to be exact.. So do it right, do it once, and you'll be a happy camper.. :thumbup:

·
Dr. Pepper is ma BITCH
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well said, I'll talk it over with the old man and see what happens. Thanks for the words of advice and opinions. I appreciate it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts