S-10 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i traded for this 88 s15, came with a "350", i dont know about that, but i know it is a smallblock. anyways, she smokes out the oil fill pretty bad, but when i do the old ghetto paper over the opened oil filler doesnt even flutter. so i have no idea whats wrong with that engine. any insight on that could help too, but 1500 chevs rusted to the ground plentiful around here for under 200 bucks i can get a 1500 pickup. or a 1995 vandora van, both with 305s. now my questions start. at first i thought i could buy it, yank the engine throw my intake accessorys distributor and everything on it and good to go, so found out the intakes dont match up, thats fine i can buy a new intake, but am i overlooking anything else?do the newer smallblocks have provisions for mechanical fuel pumps? i dont wanna get balls deep in this and end up screwed..

now some of you are saying to yourselves whys this guy wasting his time with a 305. well the trucks a 5 speed, i dont drag race the truck, and i dont care if its fast just quick, came with a smallblock im putting another back in,

few pics of the truck while im at it, and the rats nest under the hood.

·
goin broke but n style
12,942 Posts
why dont the intake match? 96 started the vortec heads but you have older style heads on your engine so it should fit.

all accessories form a 350 will bolt to a 305. newer block dont have provisions for mech fuel pumps. You can either have it drilled or go electric fuel pump with regualtor.

·
goin broke but n style
12,942 Posts
why dont the intake match? 96 started the vortec heads but you have older style heads on your engine so it should fit.

all accessories from a 350 will bolt to a 305. newer block dont have provisions for mech fuel pumps. You can either have it drilled or go electric fuel pump with regualtor.

·
i saw what you did there!
3,573 Posts
the 90s v8 usually have mechanical pump rod hole drilled in them yes, and have a block off cover plate over the area there,

until around 94 95 or so

having the rod hole drilled or not depends on the application it came in

but the hole can be drilled regardless

but the fuel injection cam may not have FP rod lobe on it

so watch for that

i dont understand the paper trick part of your post

lost me totally there

if theres a problem like that it could be alot of things

wiped cam lobes collapsed lifters, incorrectly adjusted rockers, vacuum or intake leak issue

the intakes and head changed in around 94 95
less bolts holding intake to the heads

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
when i was a kid my father would allways put a small sheet of thin paper over the oil filler whole to "check for blowby" wether hes nuts, or that works i donno but i tried, and vacuum leaks could be very likly. just look at that engine.. doesnt look that dealed to me and leaks a button of oil on the exhaust. she still runs like a scalded cat, but the smoke comes in the dash and chokes you out, almost un-drivable any tips finding out what is wrong?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
and if anyone asks the truck doesnt really smoke. but does backfire some. blows flames out the carb. big ones.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts