S-10 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
V8 newbie
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so what all can be done to your basic 4bbl 305 chevy engine to get some extra hp's...

I am installing a 600cfm 4bbl carb
headers
2" exhaust with flowmasters (true duals)
K&N breather through circle and air flow top filter

is there anything else that can be done while I am getting it going to get a few exra hp's to the wheels?

·
LSx and V8 Mod
4,204 Posts
305 is the same as any other engine on the planet. Upgrades can be done to everything.

Whats key is:

Whats your goal?
Whats your budget?

·
V8 newbie
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
lol I am building a 350 with a supercharger plans to be done next summer I am looking to just have fun in this truck for this year with the 305 sepending as little $$ as I can just looking for some cheep ad ons so I can have fun with it

Dave

·
LSx and V8 Mod
4,204 Posts
Then save for your 350 and dont spend any extra on the 305 unless its something youll end up swapping over to the 350....

·
11 second station wagon
2,921 Posts
seriously I'd stick with the 4.3 before swapping in a 305.. the headers you buy for a mild 305 aren't going to work well with a blown 350 IMO......The 600 edelbrock will be worthless unless your going to double them..............then you'll have a used one and a new one. 2" exhaust will be worthless as well.

·
LSx and V8 Mod
4,204 Posts
SpooledupRacing said:
oh come on there has to be some "adders" for the 305 to bump it up a touch and make it a fun cruiser

Dave
The same adders that work on any other engine..... but spending money wisely becomes a factor.

Take this example, I had my S-10 and put in a V8. In 4 years I had three sets of the same headers but different size primary tubes. Each set required a different exhaust system behind it. I easily had $2000 into those three systems. Now if I would have made a plan and stuck to it. I could have had the ultimate "insert your ultimate exhaust here" system possible.

It comes down to this; you have to have a plan, you have to stick to that plan untill its completed. Then decide where to go from there, but spend your money where it counts.

"Lets have honest time": How do you plan on having/keeping/tuning a blown 350 when you cant put together a few simple go fast parts for a 305?

·
On tha grind
3,060 Posts
an intake, carb, headers, cam, and underdrive pullies can be had for cheap. some stuff can be swapped over and imo it worth it to have a little bit of juice for the year while your building. Buy it all used and it aint that expensive... except the cam has to be new of course

·
V8 newbie
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The Stunningman said:
seriously I'd stick with the 4.3 before swapping in a 305.. the headers you buy for a mild 305 aren't going to work well with a blown 350 IMO......The 600 edelbrock will be worthless unless your going to double them..............then you'll have a used one and a new one. 2" exhaust will be worthless as well.
this truck allreasy has the 305 in it, I bought it that way, it came to me needing a carb, radiator hoses, B&M shifter cable, cap, rtr, coil, plugs, wires, I need to install the headers that came with the car, put on an alternator, then once it is all fired up I need to get the suspension fixed seeing it was being setup for hydros he has cut and modified everything including the 4 link suspension he dropped in..

so I dont plan to do anything really to the 305 I just want to have some fun with it this year while I am blowing the dough on the 350 thats all..

I allready have all the parts for the bottom end on the 350 just need machine work then I will assemble, then to the heads and up

Dave

·
V8 newbie
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I was thinking of that but were talking about 400.00 or so for the kit right? then I have to hope I dont lean out or blow the engien to pieces lol..

I guess I will just have fun with it as it is.. I need a diff trans anyways this came with a 200r4, who knows whats out back

Dave

·
Registered
41 Posts
SpooledupRacing said:
Ok so what all can be done to your basic 4bbl 305 chevy engine to get some extra hp's...

I am installing a 600cfm 4bbl carb
headers
2" exhaust with flowmasters (true duals)
K&N breather through circle and air flow top filter

is there anything else that can be done while I am getting it going to get a few exra hp's to the wheels?
A quick and cheap upgrade is to use a GM 350 cam. I have done it and it works well. Most people will give you the cam if they have it and up graded their own motor with an aftrmarket cam.
jim:)

·
Registered
471 Posts
its a 305 and your gonna pull it this winter anyway look around for a used nitrous kit through a 100 horse shot on it and dont spend anymore money on it spray it till she blows this year then mabey youll have the 350 done and you can start your swap. But to spend money on a 305 that your not gonna keep anyway would be foolish.I agree with sweet S10 V8 stick to your plan with the blown 350 and go that direction. If I had all the cash I spent in the past deviating from the plan id have one fast sum bitch instead of just a quick truck. you live and learn

1 - 17 of 17 Posts