S-10 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Radiator in my lq4 swapped 99 just sprung a leak. I have truck accesories with a 4.3 radiator, always worked ok but it can run a little hot in summer traffic especially with the a/c on so I was always thinking of upgrading. 2 efans and they work very well. Griffin or Becool not in the budget. Any experience/word out on those $150-200 ebay 3 row all aluminum rads as ipposed to an oem replacement? Thanks!

·
Registered
473 Posts
I've been running one for years now no issues works very well.
The OEM oil cooler fittings that going to radiator you will need to cut the small O-ring lip off the back side of them to make them fit in the radiator correctly I had to do that to mine if not it's only gets in a couple threads and it will leak.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you! Theres a couple different designs of the all aluminum rads on ebay, which then are of course marketed and sold by a bunch of random no name sellers and whatnot. Most of them have angled side tank bottoms and sheet metal drain screws, but a few had square bottoms and black plastic drains like yours, and its funny because from the pictures i just felt better about those for some reason. Glad to hear its worked out for you thus far, mines ordered fingers crossed!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Also very helpful pictures as well thanks again

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey life is an enigma i just stumbled upon a recent post you made with pics of a new ebay rad you picked up any chance of a link so i could compare and contrast??

·
Registered
473 Posts
Hey life is an enigma i just stumbled upon a recent post you made with pics of a new ebay rad you picked up any chance of a link so i could compare and contrast??
Here's the link to the latest radiator I just purchased.

I purchased this one because my other one is still in use I don't want to pull it out and have one truck down. I have 2 2003 4.3 Sonoma . One of them got rear ended really bad frame is bent right before the rear shackle on the passenger side not worth fixing so I bought a 99 Sonoma with a blown 2.2 and doing a LS swap. I am using the full interior and wiring harness out of the wrecked 03 Sonoma and putting it in the 99 Sonoma. That's why I bought a new radiator so I can get it fitted inside the core support so I can have room for the 5.3L and I am having some 1/8 flanges TIG welded into it also. And here's a picture of the inside of the radiator. This is a picture of the return side of the radiator where the oil cooler is.

ReplyForward

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The one i purchased looks more like the first pictures you posted with what lioks like square not angled off bottoms of the side tanks, and without a fan setup. Hopefully the higher capacity being 2” thick in core vs the stock 1” will keep temps more stable in traffic. Sorry to hear about one of your trucks getting rear ended, ive got two s10s and i know the swapping parts from one truck to the other and back deal pretty well. Thanks again

Picture of rad i ordered for future reference:
E5275FC5-B9AE-49D6-9F66-6E21AA628E60.png

·
FLORIDA BUTCH
79 Posts
I bought mine off E-Bay 7 years ago. It's a 3 row. Next time I'm going to buy a two row. The tubes are bigger, and it will cool better.
E-Bay was the only place I could find a radiator to fit my S10, without paying $$$ to have a custom built size.

·
Been there Done it
11,183 Posts
This is my favorite,
It is a V8 S10 S15 Jimmy and Blazer conversion radiator. It is all aluminum and fits under the core support for better fan clearance. Superior has been building this radiator in the USA for 15 years. It's made with proven 2-rows of 1.0" tubes that is proven time and again to out cool 3-row and 4-row radiators. Has a trans cooler.
Twice the price of the Asian stuff, tho. You might get a good one from China, but since they have no quality control, you may not.

Reactions: motor_hed

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Shoot wish i saw that last week that looks great. Pretty cramped already and the new core coming will be thicker, hopefully the 2” is split evenly and only moves the fans 1/2” closer to the belts....will post pics when its in.

·
Registered
359 Posts
One other 2-row I am considering is made by Engineered Cooling Products

Anybody with any experience with these? Unless I hear some positive feedback, I think I'll opt for the one that oldeerslayer recommended - that's quite a history of making these parts and a great price.

·
Been there Done it
11,183 Posts
I have the ECP 2" in my 98 ZR2 Vortec V8. It's thick. Had to do some serious support trimming. Cools great.
Did mange to keep the original A/C condenser by moving it forward a little too. Had to reshape the bottom of the hood latch bracket to clear it. Simple cut and reweld. You just make it go straight down and add a piece at the bottom.
Surprised Holley doesn't sell one for $199 + shipping and tax. I'm sure they could have them made in China for $5.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts