S-10 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Quick, m0d the Blazer!
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I'm looking to cat-back the exhaust on my 04 blazer 4x4 4dr in 3" with a thrush super turbo muffler. Is this going to be too much flow? Every exhaust system I've seen is in 2.5", but eventually I'm going to be doing a low-boost turbo app on this vehicle, and would rather not have to do the exhaust over again to get lower BP for the turbo. 5.7l cat-back apps use 3", the 4.3 is just a cut-down 5.7, will this be too excessive?

·
Premium Member
2,617 Posts
Yes for a n/a 4.3l 3" is probably too big but if you are going turbo in the future you might as well do it once and do it right. It might drone pretty bad and hurt some of your low end torque though.

·
Ruff ruff
105 Posts
The cat back alone should suffice, I'd hold off on the pipes till after the upgrade. I own a 300Zx TT with a Greddy Evo 2 cat back dual exhaust, the exahust makes a difference. It will be slightly noticable on the low end till your upgrade but it will sound nice!

·
Registered
10,898 Posts
I don't have any 4x so low end is not a big deal to me. I
run a 3" from the cat back and it works ok for me. My old
ride is so slow I wouldn't know if it was 2.5 or 3. I've
had both and I'm sticking with 3" back and using a
Flowtech Afterburner for the muff with the tailpipe
exiting right below the rear bumper.

·
Quick, m0d the Blazer!
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The cat back alone should suffice, I'd hold off on the pipes till after the upgrade. I own a 300Zx TT with a Greddy Evo 2 cat back dual exhaust, the exahust makes a difference. It will be slightly noticable on the low end till your upgrade but it will sound nice!
Thanks! I know the bigger you go on say, a diesel, they have a ballsier sound. I might just go ahead for the time being and do a 2.5 muffler almost right at the flange, with a turndown pointed 45 deg to the side of the vehicle, and when I get the turbo on, move up to the complete 3" setup. And I can't wait to hear it with a 3" exhaust :D

·
Quick, m0d the Blazer!
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I built my own 3" cat back system for my 4.3

Sounds great and runs great.

Niiice, man! Does it seem like your low end was affected at all? And does it drone? The thing I'm worried about the most is my low-end TQ. I'm going to be going up to 31's, and I'm not going to gear it down for a tire difference of 2" on my 4x4 (that's what the 4L button is for, if I'm not mistaken :haha:), but when I need some deep down power, I don't want it to call in sick on me...

·
Registered
6,908 Posts
If anything it feels stronger off the line.

It DID drone. At cruise, about 2000-2500. I made an insert for the tailpipe.

It goes up and has a small bolt to hold it in place. Sounds the same and feels the same, just no drone.

·
Registered
6,908 Posts
Well it is more restrictive than an open pipe, but if the muffler is lacking baffles to keep it quite then adding them here may "look" more restrictive but these mufflers don't have much restriction to start with.

I didn't notice any difference in performance after I put it in.

I admit it's not the ideal solution but I had the muffler and I'm not changing it.

·
Premium Member
2,617 Posts
Well it is more restrictive than an open pipe, but if the muffler is lacking baffles to keep it quite then adding them here may "look" more restrictive but these mufflers don't have much restriction to start with.

I didn't notice any difference in performance after I put it in.

I admit it's not the ideal solution but I had the muffler and I'm not changing it.
Get your flame suit ready...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts