S-10 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm doing a manifold swap from a 3 bolt TB to a 4 Bolt TB. My engine is a 2005 5.3 LM7 truck motor. I'm swapping the newer intake from 2007. Both are drive by wire. Can I use my old TB box and pedal or do I need to update to the newer one. Thanks

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
From the research I did while considering a 4 bolt TB, I was led to believe the DBW 4 bolt TB did not work easily with the older factory 3 bolt DBW computers, so adapting your old TB is the better option from my perspective.

·
Been there Done it
8,187 Posts
The adapters are the easy part. Getting your PCM to play nice with the 4 bolt is the tricky part.
Kinda like the guy selling his unfinished swap that has the motor mount in and he says "The hard part is done". No the heavy lifting is done. The hard part comes next.

·
Registered
7,405 Posts
The adapters are the easy part. Getting your PCM to play nice with the 4 bolt is the tricky part.
Kinda like the guy selling his unfinished swap that has the motor mount in and he says "The hard part is done". No the heavy lifting is done. The hard part comes next.
Maybe, I'm reading it wrong, but it looks to me like the OP, only wants to switch the intake to the newer one that takes a 4 bolt TB and use his old 3 bolt one. So he shouldn't have any tune issues.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Being new to LS engines I didn't know there was a problem with TB computer capability. I'm using my three-bolt 5.3 tb on an LS6 intake which has larger fuel injectors, the 5.3 78 mm tb is plenty big for a 5.3.

·
LS3 Cruisin'
1,863 Posts
4 bolt DBW TB e.g. LS3 & 07' forward use the digital signal CANBUS communication protocol which does not play nice with LS1B 0411 red/blue or P059 green/blue PCM's... rather it doesn't play at all.

The older 3 bolt DBW found on LS2's, vettes, and some caddy motors, use a more straight forward +5v reference, ground, signal type setup (not exactly, but comparatively speaking the older setup is effectively analogue).

You can adapt a 3 bolt DBW to a 4 bolt manifold no problem with the ebay adapter plate.

Don't swap pedal boxes, TAC modules or TB's... keep what you have just use an adapter plate. If you want a big-bore 92/102mm DBW that will play with your existing PCM, Nick Williams and a few others make DBW 4 bolt LS1B variant TB's but they are $$$$$ and your gain is nominal at best.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I read that the 4 bolt TB is bigger. I do not know. I just wanted to know if if they were computer compatible. Thanks for the reply's. Adapter at Amazon is $22.

·
Registered
170 Posts
You can buy an X-link interface/harness adapter to use the 87mm 4-bolt TB with your old PCM. It plugs into your existing PCM TB connector, and then plugs into the new 4-bolt TB. I'm using one to run the TBSS intake/TB on my '05 5.3 L33.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts