S-10 Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
the new guy
667 Posts
that's something I always wonder. people always say that its needed to produce torque but any back pressure seemed to me to not be what a person would want.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Im not an exhaust guy, so I dont really know for sure. But I have had it explained to me several times over by guys who know what they are doing. It has something to do with using vacuum pressure to maintain high velocities. A fat exhaust pipe makes the air move slower, so the engine has to actually push it out instead of having it sucked out. ...i guess.

It doesnt seem to make sense, but that is how I understand it.

·
the new guy
667 Posts
race cars don't have back pressure. neither do planes.

I think its more for scavenging the cylinders properly but I still don't think its needed. but, I don't really know to much.

there is no vacuum pressure in the exhaust. maybe they are thinking its like a venturi effect?

·
time to get cereal
2,261 Posts
I'm going to throw out a guess and say they can use back pressure to quiet down the exhaust, since they are always trying to make it quieter... That way you can play whatever exhaust sound you want through your stereo.

·
Awww..you ain't got shit!
3,298 Posts
😆 I will say my truck sounds a lot better with real exhaust on it. It's got a 40 flowmaster dual out with the Edelbrock headers. It's got a nice rumble and doesn't drone too bad at speed. Now before it had the stock exhaust with 100 leaks in it with the headers. It would give you a headache after a while driving it.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts