S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,
Im new to this site and i wanted some help and ideas! Im 17 and i drive a 1993 chevy s10 std cab short bed. It has a 2.8l v6 and 5spd. i need some power cause my motor is wooped. i want to swap it with a 3.4l v6 i know they are a direct swap but can i run my 2.8l v6 intake on the 3.4l and can i use a edlebrock cam for a 2.8l in a 3.4l. i have 500 bucks saved up so i cant go crazy and i have to use a 100 for my zoom racing stage 2 clutch. i alredy have a flowmaster super 44 single exhaust on it. How can i make power for cheap doing this. I love my truck nd i need some respect when friend try to race at a light!!!!

The truck is lowered 2inchs
10inch subwoofer
craigar ss rims
spool in the rear end!
soon to come is blazer bumper, window tint, and custom hood i made out of another s10 hood that vents heat from motor!

·
4x4 v6 blazer
7,521 Posts

·
Phuck the police!
260 Posts
Look around for a 3.4

If they ask high, you can lowball them.

Best thing to do is make sure the engine is in decent shape so you dont have to rebuild it.

I bought a whole running camaro 3.4 for $200, but I am spending over $600 in just rebuilding, so think about that.

And you pretty much just have to swap the long blocks.

Dimensionally the 2.8 and the 3.4 are the same.

2-300 bux for a running motor isnt bad, then look around for a 4.3 throttle body, and you can bore the intake manifold to match. Youd be looking at some decent power numbers.

·
Boozebag
9,009 Posts
I bought a complete 3.4 out of a '95 Camaro for $167 at the local Upull yard. I bolted everything from the grenaded 2.8 in my truck and have put over 30K miles on it. I installed a new timing chain and cleaned out the oil pan. You can eliminate the crank sensor with a freeze plug, the TBI intake bolts on, all of the pulleys bolt on, in other words, it's a direct swap. Th only issue is the oil pan - YOU HAVE TO USE THE TRUCK OIL PAN. You can probably figure out how I found this out...
BTW, you don't need an expensive clutch, you will never make enough power to wipe a stock clutch out. You will need an '88 or newer flywheel, an earlier one will cause a hell of a vibration - again, you can probably figure out how I know. My truck ran a 16.3 1320 with a totally stock 3.4 swap - I installed a Jeg's 3" cat back exhaust system. A buddy of mine has a floor dyno - the 3.4 made 117 RWHP running really lean. If you do the manifold bore and run an adjustable pressure regulator on a 5.7 of 4.3 TBI housing, you may reach 150 - 160 HP with big exhaust / headers. Probably good for a low 15 or high 14 1320 depending on your rear gears and traction. You can get out under $500 for the entire change over.

·
Registered
631 Posts
The 3.4 is rated at 160 hp adding the 4.3 tbi and free flow some guys are claiming 175-180 hp.

·
The Wonky One
788 Posts
as far as swapping the intake manifolds and throttle bodies and all that...id say get the engine swapped in (done right of course) by putting your 2.8's oil pan on the 3.4 and swapping over the intake and TBI stuff as well as the pulleys and all that. Get it running and once its in and running, THEN start worrying about fixing it up from there. Maybe you can do headers during the swap in, but that can be done with the engine already in still. Get the engine in, see how you like, then go from there :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What about my emissions junk how do i get rid of the smog pump on the motor do they have a belt for the 2.8/3.4l engine without a smog pump. and ill take off egr also!

·
Awww..you ain't got shit!
3,292 Posts
Just use a shorter belt or leave it. I have the smog pump on mine, but it doesn't do anything. Just rotates. I don't think it makes really any difference. Honestly, I don't think the smog stuff really makes enough difference to warrant taking it off. I only took mine off cause it was toast.

·
Littering And?
1,378 Posts
your gas mileage should be about the same. they get great mpg for the power you gain or so i hear. As far as duel exhauust what kind? is it true duals b/c true duals aren't needed on a s10 lol. I've heard of true duals actually hurting performance b/c some backpressure is healthy and gives you torque b/c these trucks aren't made for top end so we must compete in low range. Forget the clutch btw, just keep your stock one, a regular auto zone will work just as good as a "racing" clutch b/c your not pushing 400 pluss horses lol. For the intake you can keep the 2.8 tbi and swap it then put 4.3L injectors on; or if you want some extra hp you get the 4.3L tbi then bore out the intake to match the holes. If you really wana go all out you can swap the heads for the 3100 or 3400 heads but they require some modifcations but will get you another 20 hp give or take.

·
4x4 v6 blazer
7,521 Posts
If you really wana go all out you can swap the heads for the 3100 or 3400 heads but they require some modifcations but will get you another 20 hp give or take.

Requires more than some mods to fit those heads. You have to use the fuel injection setup as well requiring rewiring the factory harness.

·
Littering And?
1,378 Posts
yeah, imo it sounds like it would be easier to boost it over doing all that. Might cost more but you will get so much more usable HP if you boost it right. (stronger engine internals, good turbo, proper fuel mods, proper tuning). There are plenty of mods out there that you can do yourself to the s-series vehicles but not much aftermarket things; kinda angers me considering you can get a 4 cyl rice burner that has more aftermarket part companies that cater to it than the car has parts. It seems that if you want hp under the hoods of s-10s and so fourth you gotta have some real brains and ingenuity.

·
4x4 v6 blazer
7,521 Posts
SBC v8

Do you think the guys in the beginning days of hot rods just ordered parts and bolted stuff on?

·
Littering And?
1,378 Posts
^lmfao roofless. if he's anywhere accept the south/southwest he won't be able to do that unless he wants a seasonal driver but a cool idea none the less. how about taking out the back of the cab and extending it to the bed w/o the roof! that would turn heads for sure

·
Awww..you ain't got shit!
3,292 Posts
^lmfao roofless. if he's anywhere accept the south/southwest he won't be able to do that unless he wants a seasonal driver but a cool idea none the less. how about taking out the back of the cab and extending it to the bed w/o the roof! that would turn heads for sure

Then you'd have a long Blazer with no roof...kinda :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
your gas mileage should be about the same. they get great mpg for the power you gain or so i hear. As far as duel exhauust what kind? is it true duals b/c true duals aren't needed on a s10 lol. I've heard of true duals actually hurting performance b/c some backpressure is healthy and gives you torque b/c these trucks aren't made for top end so we must compete in low range. Forget the clutch btw, just keep your stock one, a regular auto zone will work just as good as a "racing" clutch b/c your not pushing 400 pluss horses lol. For the intake you can keep the 2.8 tbi and swap it then put 4.3L injectors on; or if you want some extra hp you get the 4.3L tbi then bore out the intake to match the holes. If you really wana go all out you can swap the heads for the 3100 or 3400 heads but they require some modifcations but will get you another 20 hp give or take.
I have dual straight pipes on my 2.8 and I have not noticed any big loss in power. They sound nice too.

·
Registered
3 Posts
To be fair, I bought it that way. So I cant say if its performance changed before or after. But I can say that I was very surprised with the amount of power it is putting to the wheels. It does not feel sluggish or bogged down.
Maybe it is preserving backpressure by using 1-3/4 tube with no x-pipe, instead of big, fat 3 inch pipe.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts