S-10 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm making my 1st gen ext cab 93 s10 tahoe into a phantom dually. I have a 2003 chevy Express 2500 van as a donor. I'm wondering if theres a reason why I shouldnt swap the rear axle from the van into my s10. I have the 6.0lq4 with 4l80e and the driveshaft from the van. Using the wire harness, ecu and fuel pump from it as well. My father has advised me to not use this axle because he says it's probably not safe but I just cant see why. Hes saying that it's too heavy and that itll cause a different kind of weight to happen (sprung or unsprung, not sure) and make it unsafe to drive. My thought was that since I'm adding so much weight to the front and it's a longer vehicle, the added weight and durability of the 3/4 ton axle would make it much better. Acting like the van just lost some weight.

·
Been there Done it
10,495 Posts
My father has advised me to not use this axle because he says it's probably not safe but I just cant see why.
Funny how Dad's don't know anything when your young, but by the time you reach 30 they suddenly get a lot smarter.

·
Registered
294 Posts
You're going to have some serious cutting to do, that rearend width is around 65" WMS-WMS and heavy as **** with huge honkin' brakes.

Cut an exploder 8.8 rearend down and have it redrilled to whatever bolt pattern you want. Might even be big enough to drill for 8 if that's what you're looking for.

What are you going to use for rear dually fenders?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You're going to have some serious cutting to do, that rearend width is around 65" WMS-WMS and heavy as **** with huge honkin' brakes.

Cut an exploder 8.8 rearend down and have it redrilled to whatever bolt pattern you want. Might even be big enough to drill for 8 if that's what you're looking for.

Going to use a 73-87 c10 bed for the dually fenders and not narrow it. Have to get my hands on one for fitment so I can see how its gonna look. Not sure if I'm going to have to widen it to get it right.

73-87 c10 bed, wanna fit up bed box to cab edge if possible and have the rear fenders off the side like an actual dually. Will have to see how itll look when I can get my hands on a bed.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Funny how Dad's don't know anything when your young, but by the time you reach 30 they suddenly get a lot smarter.
It's a pain in the *** lol Why cant he just be dumb. That's why I'm asking though because I do value his opinion but I'm also curious as to why. Cant see the weight thing being bad if it's done right

1 - 5 of 5 Posts