S-10 Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Sorry to bring up an old post, but I’m doing the 2.8 to 3.4 swap, my truck is the 5 speed. The 3.4 came out of camaro also a 5 speed. Will I need to change the flywheel. It looks thicker compared to what the 2.8 has.

·
B4U Task Force Admin
24,218 Posts
Sorry to bring up an old post, but I’m doing the 2.8 to 3.4 swap, my truck is the 5 speed. The 3.4 came out of camaro also a 5 speed. Will I need to change the flywheel. It looks thicker compared to what the 2.8 has.
If you were sorry, you wouldn't bring up an old thread. You're better off starting your own thread.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Yes, you need to swap the flywheel. They are different thicknesses.

Make sure your S10 flywheel is a neutral balance flywheel.

BTW I might be interested in your F-Body flywheel. I've use that flywheel in one of my swaps (Not an S-10), and would like a spare.

·
Awww..you ain't got shit!
3,383 Posts
Hint, the neutral balance flywheel won't have any weights on it. I've been told you can grind them off the old one, but I don't recommend that.

·
Registered
822 Posts
I have a 92 s10 2.8l 5 speed Reg. cab 2wd. Thinking about doing a swap soon as funds allow. What about a 3400 from a camaro, stay with tbi but go with 4.3 tbi and injectors, a good size cam, headers, exhaust and a set of 4.10 gears with posi. What kind of times and hp could i expect from this?
Basically a bolt in swap, 160 hp stock. Tbi is the easy way to go...bore intake for larger 4.3 tbi add free flow exhaust for 15-20 more hp. The difference compare to the 2.8 is very noticeable, power of a 4.3 with better mileage, definitely worth wild swap.

·
Registered
20 Posts
HI all, I noticed there are no recent posts here. I have a 1987 S10 Tahoe Blazer 4X4 with the original 2.8. It has 62K original miles. Looks like it was not ever sat in and like it is still in the showroom under the hood, original paint. This is such a slug. I mean it is is sooooo bad it is not funny. It runs perfect, it is just a slug. My wife's Hyundai seems like a race car compared to it. Anybody out here that is willing to do a 3.4 swap for me.. I am looking for it to run at least as good as the Hyundai, not a hot rod, it just needs to be woken up. I really would like to find someone that could make the new Silverado 310 hp 4 cyl turbo work in it if I could get one from a bone yard, that would be an nice combination.

·
Awww..you ain't got shit!
3,383 Posts
HI all, I noticed there are no recent posts here. I have a 1987 S10 Tahoe Blazer 4X4 with the original 2.8. It has 62K original miles. Looks like it was not ever sat in and like it is still in the showroom under the hood, original paint. This is such a slug. I mean it is is sooooo bad it is not funny. It runs perfect, it is just a slug. My wife's Hyundai seems like a race car compared to it. Anybody out here that is willing to do a 3.4 swap for me.. I am looking for it to run at least as good as the Hyundai, not a hot rod, it just needs to be woken up. I really would like to find someone that could make the new Silverado 310 hp 4 cyl turbo work in it if I could get one from a bone yard, that would be an nice combination.
"Technically" you can't do the 3.4 swap for an 87 EFI. That's what GM said....Carb only. However, if you swap the fuel injectors and TBI to 4.3 ones and modify the intake it will work. The 2.8 ones will run so lean it'll be gutless and possibly damage your engine.. However, it'll be in a state of tune that is FAR from optimal. In the same light, you might want to consider doing this to the motor that is in it currently. Get a 4.3 TBI unit from a 4.3 Astro van, remove your intake and have it bored to match the larger TBI. Don't worry. The TBI will bolt right up. The Astro van is drop on except for the throttle linkage. Easiest thing to do is grind the weld off of the throttle linkage on both the 4.3 and the 2.8 and tack weld the 2.8 one on the 4.3 one. It's easy for real. Slotted. You cannot screw it up. Bolt that combo back on the truck and see what happens. You'll need to do some tuning on it to make it right, but it should give a very noticeable power increase even with the factory motor. You "could" also drop the 4.3 injectors onto the factory TBI unit, but I have no idea what the result will be.

I have this mod on my truck and I can tell you this. I never had the TBI on the 2.8 but I had a 4bbl holley and edelbrock intake on it before the 3.4 swap. The power increase over the 2.8 was significant. When I initially installed the 3.4 the Holley stayed on it. It was pretty stout, but when I swapped to this EFI, I saw significant gains over the 4bbl too on the 3.4....so, I would believe that a similar output would be felt with the 4.3 parts on the bored intake. PS, if you're really cheap and really lazy, and like living life dangerously, some people have bored that intake out with a Dremel. If you're that into risk taking, you might even stuff the intake with rags and do it installed on the truck and then vaccuum any metal dust out that may have gotten in the intake around the rags with a shop vac...I AM NOT advocating that....I'm just saying....

Hope that helps a little.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts