S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 92 s10 2.8l 5 speed Reg. cab 2wd. Thinking about doing a swap soon as funds allow. What about a 3400 from a camaro, stay with tbi but go with 4.3 tbi and injectors, a good size cam, headers, exhaust and a set of 4.10 gears with posi. What kind of times and hp could i expect from this?

·
4x4 v6 blazer
7,521 Posts
Its a 3.4, the 3400 is more commonly used to talk about the fwd version.

Times are gonna depend on the driver more than power.

175 to 185ish should be in range with just those minor mods.

Without major ecm tuning a good sized cam is out of the question. Everything else will help until you get in the ecm your not gonna get the gains you expect. It will be a noticable gain yes but not everything it can be. The iron heads are the major limiting factor and from the factory they are pumping out about the best the can do.

·
Boozebag
9,001 Posts
I did the 3.4 swap in one of my dimes. It came out of a '95 Camaro automatic. I ran it with the stock TBI initially, it wasn't that much stronger than the 2.8 because it ran so lean. I converted it to a 5 speed (the truck it went into was a 5 speed from the factory). It ran a mid 18 second 1320 with the TBI.
I put in a 4.10 rear gear with an Eaton clutch posi, I added a huge cam, double roller timing chain and advanced the cam 4*, added a Mallory mechanical advance dizzy, Edelbrock and Holley 390 CFM, headers and HUGE exhaust.
I coudn't get traction becuase of wheel hop in the beginning. I added traction bars and the tires would still spin through first and part of second even after serious burn outs.
Anyway, the best time to date is 14.9 with the tires spinning through first. I almost hit the wall one time, it came out of the hole totally sideways...
The engine pulls super hard on the street and sounds way crazy. People are always asking what size V8 it is - particularly at the drags. They crap when they see the mini mouse under the hood.
Enough info for you?
BTW, for some crazy reason, this thing gets almost 22 MPG on the hiway at 70 MPH. Around town - it sux.
It also needs a bigger carb - like a 450 CFM which I have, and will install. I also installed a nitrous system on it. I am going to try a 100 shot soon. I am hoping to be in the low 13s.
With the stock TBI, it dynoed 117 rear wheel HPs on a buddy's in floor dyno. I expect around (+ or -) 200 HPs the way it's currently set up.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
sounds exactly like what i was wanting to know and exactly what i was considering. I am thinking about setting the truck up for the 3.4 with camaro intake and fuel system. Would that be any better than the tbi with larger injectors etc? I would like to eventually go with a cheap turbo setup but that will be down the road and I feel like that would be a better setup for boost.

·
4x4 v6 blazer
7,521 Posts
The camaro fuel injection will be better for forced induction. As for if its better than the tbi alone imho not really. The fbody intake was designed more to fit than it was to make power.

Honestly this is one of the few times I would suggest searching for the 3x00 swap. It will give you much better head design and will be about the same trouble as just using the fbody stuff. It should net ya about 200 from the start and go up from there with mods.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
but will i be able to use my accessory setup from the 2.8 on the front of say a 3400 or 3800? I like the simplicity of the 3.4 swap and with it couldnt i just mainly switch engine and intake fuel setup etc. but still use my 2.8 ps pump ac water pump etc?

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
The 3800 is a different engine family, so that will not work.

The short answer is yes you can use your existing front accessories on a 3400.

A longer answer is that it is not the entire 3400 that you would want to use, it is the heads and intake, along with a few supporting parts. You would use these on a 3.4L block. The reason for this, is because the 3.4L from the F-body has provisions for the crank trigger (used for DIS which is needed with the 3400 top end swap), and the proper starter location along with engine mount pads for the longitudinal set-up that the S-10 uses.

To do the 3.4L long block swap, using the 3.4L heads, you can simply swap all of the external parts that are different from your current engine and bolt it in place of your 2.8L.

·
Boozebag
9,001 Posts
The direct bolt in is the 3.4 60* out of a Camaro or a crate engine from GM. The 3400 engine is totally different. It is only in FWD configuration and has different heads, intake and injection. You can make anything work if you are determined, but the 3400 would take some serious effort to convert.

·
Awww..you ain't got shit!
3,287 Posts
And be worth the effort? Probably not, although it would be cool.

·
Registered
1 Posts
3.4 Fuel Injection, Harness, and Computer and Heads Question...

I'm thinking of swapping my 2.8 out of my 1987 S10 for a 3.4 Camaro engine. I have a lead on 1995 Camaro engine, but the harness and computer are not included with the engine. Around here 3.4 Camaros are hard to find. Being that 3.4 front drive vehicles are a dime a dozen, that brings up my question.

Does anyone know if the harness and computer from a front wheel drive 3.4 can be made to work on a 3.4 Camaro engine so that the original multiport fuel injection on the Camaro 3.4 can be kept ? If so, what version of harness would work on a 1995 Camaro 3.4 engine ?

Or is it better to better to stick with a throttle body ? If staying with the Throttle Body, should I use the heads from my 2.8 on the 3.4 ? Or if using my 2.8 intake manifold on the 3.4 that has multiport injectors, what should be done with the old injectors and their ports in the heads ? Should the injectors be left in the heads unused, or is there a convenient means to plug the ports after removing the injectors ?

Thanks to anyone who has investigated these issues who would share their knowledge.

S Tenner

·
4x4 v6 blazer
7,521 Posts
Man did you read anything?

·
4x4 v6 blazer
7,521 Posts
And be worth the effort? Probably not, although it would be cool.

All the work we put into our iron heads and neither of us broke the 200 mark.

The 3x00 swap will start you at above what we got now. So worth the effort I say yes. Work the headache of swapping harnesses and ecm maybe not.

If I had the time and money I would be working on it right now for my truck. Once I get done with the v8 and sfa swaps in my blazer I might still do it. Just gotta let my money build up.

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
The ECM and electronics side is easy. Don't let that discourage you from doing it. I say it is worth the effort. :D

I've done it. :D

·
4x4 v6 blazer
7,521 Posts
One of these days I will. I just got too many other pokers in the fire right now. I started on this blazer and gonna finish it first to a daily driver status before I tear into my daily.

Worse part for me is that carp I do for 8+ hours a day and just hard to come home and do it.

·
3,287 Posts
Worse part for me is that carp I do for 8+ hours a day and just hard to come home and do it.

Sounds like me. I work for a healthcare's IT department. The last thing I want to do is touch a computer...even mine.

·
4x4 v6 blazer
7,521 Posts
Carp, lol, damn phone. Crap crap crap

Yeah after I hate having to do any of my own wiring now days. Yet another guy that will say never turn something you like to do or a hobby into a job.

·
3,287 Posts

Holy Carp!

·
Boozebag
9,001 Posts
The ECM and electronics side is easy. Don't let that discourage you from doing it. I say it is worth the effort. :D

I've done it. :D
Uh, R Dood, you aren't the regular Dime guy.
Effort translates to this:
Knowledge is a key factor here, otherwise... mucho time wasted.
Ok, Confucius has to add:
Man with good idea need knowledge to make work... :p

BTW kicker, nice fish

·
3,287 Posts
I didn't catch it, but that guy sure looks proud huh? Just pickin a Neo and his "carp" comment.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts