S-10 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My daily driver right now is my wife's 2007 Tahoe. Just recently I have noticed that it has started to flare up on the 3-4 shift. 180k miles and honestly..... I have never serviced it in the 100k miles we have owned it and I know it wasn't done by the previous owner. It hasn't been an all the time thing but after taking a trip to the mountains this past week, it showed itself a good bit while climbing up hwy 16. I also kick the tow/haul on when going this way to keep it out of 4th. Started to notice a flare up in the 2-3 shift but not as much. Friend of mine that goes into transmissions more than me suggested to service it, lucas , and the trans go orange box. I plan on getting it rebuilt or replaced but need it to hang on a little while longer. No slipping at all. Trans temps going up the mountain were never over 215* and they stayed under 200* the rest of the trip.

Suggestions??

·
Randy
415 Posts
Your friend is on the right track. Anything over 160k is a risk and ready for a transmission failure.
Sure I have had trucks go 300k on the original transmission. The average area for overhaul is 160k-200k.

Reactions: chevymec

·
Premium Member
1,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
@Tranzman , if I get the transgo orange box, should I install all of it or just certain parts of it? I've never delt with it before.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Randy
415 Posts
I would do all of it, but I'm talking about the kit #SK-4L60E. It sells for around $30 on eBay. There are a couple of things that can't be installed if you are not pulling the transmission. Might want to pick up a .500 boost valve too.

·
Randy
415 Posts
My son babied a 2003 Silverado with It for over a year before we did an actual overhaul. Turned out his actual failure was TFC.
I could see evidence of his 2-3 flair. But not a no move as he had. TFC was destroyed from the case having a hole in it and leaking all the fluid out.

·
Registered
1997 S10 5.3L
102 Posts
My daily driver right now is my wife's 2007 Tahoe. Just recently I have noticed that it has started to flare up on the 3-4 shift. 180k miles and honestly..... I have never serviced it in the 100k miles we have owned it and I know it wasn't done by the previous owner. It hasn't been an all the time thing but after taking a trip to the mountains this past week, it showed itself a good bit while climbing up hwy 16. I also kick the tow/haul on when going this way to keep it out of 4th. Started to notice a flare up in the 2-3 shift but not as much. Friend of mine that goes into transmissions more than me suggested to service it, lucas , and the trans go orange box. I plan on getting it rebuilt or replaced but need it to hang on a little while longer. No slipping at all. Trans temps going up the mountain were never over 215* and they stayed under 200* the rest of the trip.

Suggestions??
I have found that the 2005 and up epc solenoids develop a flat spot in the mid throttle TAP cell range. If the fluid is clean and there isn't any evidence of clutch pack damage, you can install a new one and it will be slightly better. Back dating the epc solenoid connector and putting an early one in is a better solution, but requires an old style wiring harness to rob it from and an early solenoid. The early 04 and down (flat pins) version is superior to the 05 and up (small connector) I do this on all performance builds and any time I find a funky epc on one. The .500 body valve from sonnax is also a good idea and can be installed with the trans in the truck.

·
Randy
415 Posts
I have found that the 2005 and up epc solenoids develop a flat spot in the mid throttle TAP cell range. If the fluid is clean and there isn't any evidence of clutch pack damage, you can install a new one and it will be slightly better. Back dating the epc solenoid connector and putting an early one in is a better solution, but requires an old style wiring harness to rob it from and an early solenoid. The early 04 and down (flat pins) version is superior to the 05 and up (small connector) I do this on all performance builds and any time I find a funky epc on one. The .500 body valve from sonnax is also a good idea and can be installed with the trans in the truck.
FYI,The 2nd design EPC solenoid actually started for model year 2003. Sonnax makes a late to early jumper connector. That way you can still use the original harness if you like. Some people prefer to change the whole harness.
Your correct on the flat spot. They also develop or make a reep noise under mild throttle. I've changed a dozen or so for that noise. I change all EPC solenoids during an OH.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts