S-10 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!
This forum is a great idea.
I am reviewing my power options for the time my 2.8 dies. Hopefully I can get some hard data from someone who has done this already. I currently have 195,000 mi on my Blazer. I have thought hard about a 3.4L transplant from a Camero or Firebird . I have a 5 Spd tranny.Will this bolt up? In another thread, I read where there appeared to be some computer chip incompatability btween the present set up and the 3.4 install. Is there anftermarket chip or some recalibration that can be done? Also will I be able to retain the present power steering, alternator and A/C brackets, etc. LastlyI think in the interests of reliability I will stick with my present TBI although MPFI is intriguing but I suppose the computer is the limiting factor.
This little truck and I go back a long way and I can't bear the thought of trading it off, especially since I think it can be the equal, if not the better of a 4.3 newer rig that I will have to finance.
I appreciate your constructive suggestions and advice.

·
Registered
152 Posts
3.4 works

strip off the camaro, use your oil pan & pick up, front cover & all your external accessories. I've got 6ooo miles on my swap w/out trouble codes:thumbup:

Your 87 should be internal balanced ( no weights welded to the flywheel ), I know my 88 was so I was able to use the flywheel and the starter was fine w/ the same number of shims that were in the 2.8 [some people have had to add or subtract shims when using the flexplate or flywheel from the donormaro so the starter won't jam]. Your coil & egr controller are bolted onto the rear lift bracket so swap that. Get a new 'o' ring for the distrib shaft from GM, it's cheap and it prevents a huge oil leak. An 8mm socket fits onto the hexshaft to prime the oil system. The plug in the front corner of the head where the one temp sensor mounts is an 8mm square, start looking for it now, I used robo grips but my crate was new and the sealant on the plugs threads was not set, I think the engine heat sets it up. Vise grips won't do it! Also when they beefed up the block casting to bore it to 3.4, the block drain plugs moved a little. The knock sensor screws into the drain by the starter and the small wire on the selenoid is in the way of pluggin in the knock sensor. I used a 1/4" by close pipe nipple and a 1/4' elbow to move the sensor out of the way, do this while the engine is out so you won't have to work around the manifild like I did! Everything else bolts right on it. Use your front [timing cover] so your belt driven items fit, if you use the camaro cover & waterpump & crank pulley, you will need a longer belt & the clutch fan won't fit (an electric fan will!)

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a 93 s-10 and i popped a 3.4 out of a 94 camaro and almost everything bolted up just fine.. Just a few of the connectors and vacuum lines were trouble..and btw its not all that much of a difference in power..I'd consider a 350 from a camaro or FB...

·
Registered
152 Posts
well...it's no V-8.....but

The 3.4 is only 20 bigger; since GM choose to bless some of us w/ sixty degree bellhousings, that's a BIG 20%:thumbup:
I felt that the3.4 was the best bang for the bucks I spent. While there is no replacement for displacement, some of us want our ride to be something we enjoy without having to feel like we're workin' for NASCAR. The 3.4 does this quite nicely!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts