S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
13,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I've got a 2001 ext. cab 4.3 and am trying to figure out what is the most cost-effective way to lower my truck around a 3/4 drop and still mostly retain my ride quality. I've read a lot of the other threads but haven't seen a concrete answer to what I'm looking for.

Thanks!

:D

·
Deadbeat
1,331 Posts
dropped my xtreme 2/3 with blocks and spindles and it rides pretty good....it would ride better if i cut the back bumpstops off.....actually it rides the same to me....so i recommend spindles and blocks

·
Registered
13,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How much did that cost, cynic x?

·
"GOT RICE?"
271 Posts
yes..go with the spindles and blocks and cut the bumpstops off. I did that to mine and I think it rides better now than it did stock.

·
Deadbeat
1,331 Posts
i got a kit from jegs and it was 350 shipped and then i got the guy that i was gonna have align it just go ahead and do the drop he charged me 200 so 550 and i know its done right with quality equip so i'm happy.....i went with belltech equipment i got the front spindles rear blocks and 4 nitro-drop shocks and i like it:)

·
Registered
13,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
skaling,

How hard was it to cut the bumpstops off?

Do you guys think it would be cheaper to buy a kit or just the individual components?

Anyways thanks for the help!

:)

·
Steel Chariot Customs
4,208 Posts
hey im in the exact boat your are in. i wanna 3/4 drop as well. now if you get blox does that mean you dont have any leaf springs whats so ever? isnt that unsafe? and do you need new shocks?

·
500? 88 & 38 all the way!
463 Posts
With blocks you keep your stock leaf springs. The blocks go between the leaf spring and the axle, they simply raise the axle and in turn lower the truck. You cut the bumpstops off to get more axle travel (less bottoming out). You can keep your stock shocks since the connection of the axle to the shock stays in the same place.

Hope this helps, mines going down in a month!:D -Jamie

·
Registered
201 Posts
I got a 3/4 drop using belltech drop spindles/springs and 4" chassis tech blocks. I say start off with drop spindles and the leafs. At least you will have the proper starting point. If you want to go lower, all you do is add springs and blocks. You would probably need some shims too....I get some vibration between 5-15mph.

I wish I had bought the leafs cuz now I'm stuck at 4" until I can get enough to buy some leafs....but then I would have to get some 2" blocks also....kinda waste time and money doing it this way. Live and learn by your mistakes I guess....good luck,

Jay

·
Registered
13,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the responses, everyone. Very helpful indeed. Hopefully the ol' "Sten" will get dropped pretty soon here. :D

·
Un-Blown Fake ZQ8
3,401 Posts
FYI, I paid just under $240 for 2" spindles, 1" springs, and 3" blocks from Summitracing.com (belltech). You can cut that price in half by using just springs/blocks. Someone else will have to verify but my 1" spring only lowered my truck about .75" I'd imagine a 3" spring would probably be around a 2" drop.

·
Registered
13,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
By the way,

that link to cutting the bumpstops off doesn't work. Any suggestions?

·
/=||=/
589 Posts
zYgoTe said:
By the way,

that link to cutting the bumpstops off doesn't work. Any suggestions?
jack up the rear end, take the wheels off. you'll see the weld line where the hunk of metal is. take a sawzall and cut it. you may be able to pry it off working it back and forth and using a flathead screwdriver.

thats it in a nutshell. doing mine tomorrow morning.

·
Registered
13,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Cool man, let me know how it goes :)

·
Deadbeat
1,331 Posts
make sure you cut that bump all the way off dont just take out the rubber cut the metal part of it off all the way to the frame its very important....i bottom out on a 3" drop on the rubber and it make me wanna kill something i could only imagine the sound of the axle smashing into the frame....ack! you can take a rotary type cutting saw (like a dremel but industrial strength) and cut along the weld on the side then pry it back and forth it the front weld breaks from the frame....sounds scarey if you dont like cutting your truck up but once u get under there and take a look you'll see what i'm talking about and see its not that tough......

·
Deadbeat
1,331 Posts
ya thats the one....

1 - 20 of 31 Posts