S-10 Forum banner

41 - 60 of 85 Posts

·
Should've had a V8.
1,619 Posts
Use the one for the 2.8, I took the whole unit that mounts on the side of the block off my 2.8 and put it on the 3.4. (the entire thing, including what the oil filter screws onto.

·
Should've had a V8.
1,619 Posts
use the 2.8 timing cover too. Even if you don't use the timing tab, the outlet for the radiator hose is smaller on the camaro timing cover. Ask me how I figured this out -.-

·
Registered
233 Posts
thank you ill make sure we change em out. i got the oil filter housing gasket today. its finally ready to go together and in the truck.

·
Awww..you ain't got shit!
3,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
use the 2.8 timing cover too. Even if you don't use the timing tab, the outlet for the radiator hose is smaller on the camaro timing cover. Ask me how I figured this out -.-
Wild...when I posted the pictures of that in 2010 I NEVER noticed that. It is in fact smaller than the S10 one...another good reason not to use it.

·
Registered
233 Posts
pulled water pump, pully and harmonic balancer. figured we would just do the timing chain, gears and the guide. chain has so much slack it broke the guide lol

·
Should've had a V8.
1,619 Posts
Any tips on pulling that balancer off? I didn't change my cover because I couldn't get the SOB off.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Okay another bump for this.

Looking to put a motor in my 4x4 shortly. The plan is to buy a new style pan and pickup along with everything else for me to run serp. What i need to know is do I need a special 4x4 pan or will a 2wd pan work? rockauto doesn't list a separate pan for the 4x4 but i seem to think i have a slightly different cross member then a 2wd truck?

I dont have a problem doing some trimming id just rather not drop it in and be like oh great it doesnt fit...

·
86' S-10
916 Posts
You need a 4x4 pan along with the proper pick up tube

·
3,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
That's an old cover....That might indicate one of two things...One that isn't the original motor...or two, if it is, it proves that early 86 EFI trucks used old motors left over from 85....Is there a block off plate behind the steering pump where a fuel pump would have been located?

·
Registered
73 Posts
That's an old cover....That might indicate one of two things...One that isn't the original motor...or two, if it is, it proves that early 86 EFI trucks used old motors left over from 85....Is there a block off plate behind the steering pump where a fuel pump would have been located?
I'll check when I get home this evening.

·
3,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
Hey Max...is he gonna run into trouble with that cover on the 3.4? I don't think you can put the old pan on the 3.4 can you? I mean the way the rear of the pan interfaces with the crank seal? ddog800 if that is the case you're gonna need a front cover and pan too. Fortunately for you I have a crate motor cover....brand stinking new too that came with my motor. Since I put serpentine accessories like the 87 forward ones, I didn't need this one. It is for all practical purposes a regular 86 normal direction housing with the new sealer bottom....Hell man, even if you CAN use the old 2 bolt cover and pan, I wouldn't because that POS will leak eventually. That design never sealed well. Either that or convert to serp accessories like I did. I freakin love the single belt design. Especially when it comes to servicing the truck. My truck has an electric fan too, so it makes taking it on and off a very simple operation. If you did that you could use any 87+ front cover or pan which are extremely common....Even the F body one, but the issue with that is that there is no timing tab. Suppose you could add one, but I don't know how accurate you would get on it.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I'm too familiar with the mechanical fuel pump setup, but here's a pic.....

·
3,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
That is definitely a newer block...right there in front should be where the pump should be if it existed....See the outline for the base? But there is no hole in the front. So unless there has been some part swapping this confirms some old covers and pans went on new motors for 86.

41 - 60 of 85 Posts