S-10 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i have this 3.4 engine block from a 94 camaro, i just got the aluminum heads, lower and upper intake from am 01 grand am gt. My problem now is that i chose this conversion because its a direct bolt in replacement to the 2.8 thats in my truck. i overlooked the fact that the 3.4, 3100, and 3400 series motors were never given an aftermarket carbed intake manifold. i have heard a few guys being able to modify the stock 3100/3400 upper intakes to facilitate a carb, but they have only mentioned it and never posted any pictures of the procedure. if anyone has any knowledge of this procedure or have any ideas please let me know. i want o have my truck ready by summer.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Just convert to EFI if you're going to use the gen3 top end. You will need to use some sort of controller for the DIS anyway, since the intake doesn't have enough space for a dizzy to be installed anyway.

Any carb that's been mounted on top of a gen3 intake has always seemed to work poorly from reports of the owners that have done it. That makes sense because the intake were never designed to flow fuel through them or provide a strong vacuum signal to a carb.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
If I remember correctly the transverse heads won't work on the Longitudinal block

Why not just use the 3.4 heads?
The 3400 heads bolt onto a longitudinal block just fine.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I can see how the upper plenum would not be ideal for a carb flowing vertically into the intake. The biggest reason i wanted to carb this new motor was because i was hoping to keep as much wiring and computer controlled tech out of my truck. At the same time the 3400 heads are the best design for this project.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts