S-10 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Warheads on Foreheads
1,655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did a 3/4 spring/block drop and over certain bumps, I have a severe "bang". I recently put newish Bilstien shocks on it and it drives smooth. Also, i have shaved stops at 1/2 off normal size. Ideas? I don't drive it rough.:(

·
Registered
29 Posts
I just finished dropping my truck today, had the same problem, and I am 90% positive that I know what it is.

The sway bar end links are too long. When you use springs to lower it (i only did 2" with springs) the lower control arm is higher up and therefore sway bar and end links get pushed up 2" beyond their stock location (3" in your case).

Tomorrow I plan to try and locate some end links that are same design as factory but 2" overall shorter than original.

I read somewhere on here in an old thread about someone finding shorter end links that worked from Advanced Auto Parts. I just tried doing a search online but their Nazi search functions only allow to search applicable to a specific vehicle so i can only find stock length end links for an s10.

All of those style end links are cross referenced for a load of american vehicles, I am sure that tomorrow in the store I will be able to find a same style in a shorter form for a different vehicle (car most likely?)

Will report back tomorrow afternoon/evening with my findings.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Upon further brain storming I came up with a do it yourself fix if you cant find shorter end links:

buy a tap/die set for the thread size/pitch of your factory end link bolts.

remove your factory end links.

hack a couple of inches off of the end link spacer (hollow part in the middle).

secure end link bolt in vice and use the die to run new threads a couple of inches further down on the end link bolt.

reinstall factory end link with shortened spacer, utilizing the new threads further down on the bolt.

hack off the couple inches of extra threads now remaining on the top of your modified factory end links.

tada! no more sway bar smashing

·
Registered
29 Posts
could it be the rear end hitting the bump stops? and you can just cut the sleeve and the bolts to make your end links shorter.
mine is definitely not the rear.

yeah i realized that, but like i posted above, you would at least still need a tap/die set to run threads further down the end link bolt. the threads end long before where the spacer begins.

·
Warheads on Foreheads
1,655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ya, I plan to re-die mine as when I did the ZQ8 bar swap, the links are bottomed out. I hope that will fix it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
right on zo6, please follow up on here. Hopefully I'll have mine done mid day tomorrow, maybe harbor freight will have an entire die set for like 10 dollars :p

·
Air ride & Audio
2,816 Posts
I air my truck all the way out and don't have a problem with the endlinks so there is no way a 3 inch drop can. OP cut off your bumpstop brackets.

·
▂ ▃ ▅ ▆ █ ▆ &#
34,613 Posts
Upon further brain storming I came up with a do it yourself fix if you cant find shorter end links:

buy a tap/die set for the thread size/pitch of your factory end link bolts.

remove your factory end links.

hack a couple of inches off of the end link spacer (hollow part in the middle).

secure end link bolt in vice and use the die to run new threads a couple of inches further down on the end link bolt.

reinstall factory end link with shortened spacer, utilizing the new threads further down on the bolt.

hack off the couple inches of extra threads now remaining on the top of your modified factory end links.

tada! no more sway bar smashing
You must be an engineer of some sorts...:rolleyes: that deserves another for you being 28 years old and saying that. :rolleyes:

why not just go to the hardware store and buy two shorter grade 8 bolts for like 3 bucks if that? lol
You sir have some good common since. I got a larger/shorter grade 8 bolts, cut down the sleeves, and spread them open a little. I've seen the factory bolts have a place wore half way into them where they touch the swaybar, they are way under built.

·
nva2low
947 Posts
no way it involves endlinks just lowered my truck 4/5 and put new factory size moog end links in..no issues..i had a bang when i hit a bump hard out back..removed the bumpstops and brackets and shes riding smooth and low

·
Mr. Shiny Cadillackness
446 Posts
I have an xtreme with a 2/3 drop added and I cut my bumpstops off a long time ago and still have that severe bump sound. Welcome to driving a minitruck haha it only get's rougher until you c-notch or just bag it totally.

·
Miss you bella!
2,094 Posts
IndigoSlowX: Did you remove just the bump stop, or the whole bracket welded to the frame? I'm 4/6 and hardly ever bottom out and thats on shitty Lousiana roads!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts