S-10 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve been working on a 3.4 swap for a while now and tried to start it for the first time today. The starter would spin, but wouldn’t engage the flywheel. I would just hear the starter spin.

I used the 2.8l starter. Everything looked perfect when I bolted it up when the block was still out of the Jimmy. I have a t5 trans and 3.4 out of a 95 Camaro if that info helps! I unbolted it and placed it back on a few times only to get the same result. Any ideas on what I did wrong? Shims, wrong starter?!?!

·
Registered
242 Posts
Looking it up in my parts catalog at work the starters are two different numbers. They do look the same, i'd try getting one for the camaro and trying it.

·
Registered
125 Posts
2,8 starter should be fine if indeed the starter gear is extending. It would take a good amount of shims to make it not hit the flywheel. I just put in a 3.4 crate motor for a Camaro in to mine. The only problem I had was my original starter (older one) hit the knock sensor so I used a newer version with a smaller case to clear it. was your engine from an automatic reason I ask is i think the auto has a shim on the crank to space the flexplate. If that was still on the crank your flywheel could be spaced too far out from the engine for the starter to make contact.

·
B4U Task Force Admin
24,233 Posts
I'm getting a headache from the lack of punctuation and grammar....it's not just this thread either.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
2,8 starter should be fine if indeed the starter gear is extending. It would take a good amount of shims to make it not hit the flywheel. I just put in a 3.4 crate motor for a Camaro in to mine. The only problem I had was my original starter (older one) hit the knock sensor so I used a newer version with a smaller case to clear it. was your engine from an automatic reason I ask is i think the auto has a shim on the crank to space the flexplate. If that was still on the crank your flywheel could be spaced too far out from the engine for the starter to make contact.
Thanks! Never thought of that. I’ll have to check some pictures of my engine tear down to see if there’s any shims. Where would the shim be on the crank?

·
Awww..you ain't got shit!
3,383 Posts
Did you use the flywheel from the Camaro or the s-10?

·
Registered
125 Posts
Great point, jimmyKicker. Starter problems aside the 2.8 flywheel is balanced for the 2.8 crank and the 3.4 is internally balanced.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Good thought Jimmykicker but I do have the correct flywheel.

Good news to share! I was able to grab a shim kit from aap and were up and running!

Bad news is oil was POURING out of the 2 prong oil pressure switch so I had to shut down.

·
Registered
125 Posts
well good news bad news I guess. SO probably the starter was extending but running smack in to the flywheel and not missing it.
At least those 2 prong switches are cheep.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
After 1988 the flywheel is the same balance between 2.8 and 3.4.

You won't be able to use an F-body 3.4 flywheel with an S10 trans, they are different thicknesses. The S10 uses a fairly flat flywheel, maybe about 3/4" from crank surface to clutch plate surface, whereas the 3.4 is about 1.75" thick (or more).

Reactions: jimmykicker
1 - 13 of 13 Posts