S-10 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
truckin
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Eh;

Here is a few questions. I have a 2000 GMC Sonoma ZQ8 and am going to lower it 3/3 or 3/4.

1) Should I do 3/3 or 3/4? Can I get 4" blocks for the rear? Are 4" blocks in the rear a bad idea?

2a) Because I have the ZQ8 suspension in there now, my springs should already be 1.5" lower than stock. Can somebody confirm this?

2b) If I want to do a 3" drop in the front, I am going to have to do 2" Spindles and 2.5" drop coils to get 3". I think it would be better to get 2" spindles and 2" coils to get 2.5" lower than I am now. Am I right about this?

3) Am I going to be scraping with a 3/4?

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
920 Posts
1. you already have a 1.5in dropped suspension all around, you only need to drop it 1.5 in around to get a 3/3drop. No i do not recomend 4in blocks, id get a 3in block for a 4in drop, or a 2in block

2a ZQ8= spring and leaf drop good for ~1.5in

2b.get a spindle, that drops you for a total of 3.5in
if you get a 2in spindle and a 2in drop spring your at 4in, but you already have a drop spring since its ZQ8

3. Scraping depends on the roads in your area, but alot of people here have dropped their ZQ8's 2in and love it, i have no problems with my 3/4 dropped S10, just rub at full lock that isnt bad, and a scrape of my front airdamn on steep driveways stuff like that, nothing very bad, the truck will also ride very close to the way it does now

Cliffnotes- Get a drop spindle and either 2in or 3in blocks, id go with 2in blocks cause i like a rake, but thats up to you, you do not need drop shocks

·
Registered
947 Posts
i would def go with the 3/3. i have a zq8 and i recently lowered it 2/3 with 2" spindles and 3" blocks. the back was slightly lower in the back so i ended up cutting the blocks an inch and now it looks much better, look at my pics, it looks pretty level to me

·
truckin
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
jbegno said:
i would def go with the 3/3. i have a zq8 and i recently lowered it 2/3 with 2" spindles and 3" blocks. the back was slightly lower in the back so i ended up cutting the blocks an inch and now it looks much better, look at my pics, it looks pretty level to me
You did a 2/3 on your truck? Did you do spindles in the front? Your truck looks awesome. Do you ever scrap at that height?

Another question. heh, I see you cleared your headlights, did you do that with a blow dryer/heat gun or some other way?

Do you like the height you are sitting at now? Or do you wish you went anohter inch?

·
Registered
947 Posts
IDiOM said:
You did a 2/3 on your truck? Did you do spindles in the front? Your truck looks awesome. Do you ever scrap at that height?

Another question. heh, I see you cleared your headlights, did you do that with a blow dryer/heat gun or some other way?

Do you like the height you are sitting at now? Or do you wish you went anohter inch?
yeah i got 2" belltech spindles and 3" blocks (then cut an inch off). i hardly ever scrape. when i first dropped it i was going through a carwash and it had some pretty tall speedbumps (i have no idea why) at the entrance and exit of each stall. it drug pretty bad then but other than that, i have no problems.

i took my headlights apart with a blow dryer, but i would recommend using an oven. just make sure you do it right and make sure not to melt the housings.

im satisfied with my height now, but i wouldnt mind going an inch lower. i say lower it 3/3 and youll be happy

·
truckin
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
jbegno said:
i took my headlights apart with a blow dryer, but i would recommend using an oven. just make sure you do it right and make sure not to melt the housings.
Any tips on doing this 'right'? I wanna do this so bad, but haven't had the balls thus far. haha.

Thanks for the other info btw.

·
Registered
947 Posts
here you go.
http://www.s10forum.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=35425

basically it says to preheat your oven to 225*, put one headlight in at a time, make sure to keep the OVEN DOOR OPEN or else it'll get too hot, let em sit for about 4 minutes and check, if not quite good enough put it back for 3 more minutes, if still not good, put it for a couple more. make sure to take your time , go slowly. i tried to rush it when i did mine and ended up cracking a piece, believe me it's not hard, but luckily it wasnt bad at all. the orange piece just pops right out. make sure to silicone it back well, so that it doesnt leak, and let them dry overnight if possible.

if you need anything else just holla and i may be able to help you

·
truckin
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Very cool. Thanks a bunch. thats great info.

Are they just clear orage inserts?

Would it be possible to cut it and leave a small section right at the side of the where is currently exists? (not sure if I am being clear or not heh.)

Thanks again.

·
Registered
947 Posts
i think i got what youre sayin. you wanna leave like half of it in there? i dont think it would work cuz the cut side wouldnt have anything to rest on, so it would probably rattle around in there, better off taking out the whole thing. why would you wanna leave some of it in there anyways? not to get a ticket?

·
truckin
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
jbegno said:
i think i got what youre sayin. you wanna leave like half of it in there? i dont think it would work cuz the cut side wouldnt have anything to rest on, so it would probably rattle around in there, better off taking out the whole thing. why would you wanna leave some of it in there anyways? not to get a ticket?
Heh. Yeah. Not that I am hugely worried about it, I just wondered. I have heard a few people around edmonton on different message boards complaining that they got tickets for not having any orange side markers.

·
truckin
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
jbegno said:
it really depends how the cops are around where you live.... around here i think the cops are too stupid to even notice that i dont have the orange reflectors, lol. so im not worried
Hahahaha. If I take them all the way out, I would assume that I would be able to put them back in if absolutely needed. Although I wouldn't want to.

haha.

·
truckin
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have another question...

Do noma/s10's that have the ZQ8 suspension have 1.5" blocks in the back? Or dropped leafs?

I wonder if I get 3" blocks in the back would I come out with 3" drop or 4.5" total? I wouldn't want to double up the blocks, if there are already 1.5" blocks in there, anybody know?

Thanks!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.