S-10 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys im getting a 91 gmc jimmy 4x4 auto with the 4.3l and it has 3.08 gears in it. is it gonna be geared so low it has a top speed of 120 kmh or is it just gonna come outta the whole like a dog with his ass on fire.

·
i saw what you did there!
3,573 Posts
my 91 is 3.08 nd its crazy super fast outruns most anything i want to and is more than plenty fast for me

the first gear 3.06 ratio 700r4 helps alot

and it hauls 2000 lbs of scrap metal on the back just fine too

you worry too much i think.,

just drive it

its not a pro street truck or something

unless your engine is done for tired wasted, the truck will do fine.

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
our speed limits are only 100 kmh here max i just wanted to know if its gonna be drinking the gas or not

·
My mirror hates my sub
9,463 Posts
it's a 4wd blazer.. with 3.08s.. yes it will. be lucky to get 12-14 mpg

·
ASE certified MasterTech
8,695 Posts
3:08 gear is a tall gear , higher top end, not quicker low end..... lower rpm at a higher speed = better mileage.

·
Electrical Mod
56,116 Posts
yea, that's a cruising rear, meant for highway speeds with little to no loads. It'll be awful to tow anything and will suck when taking off as that's a high gear. Newer blazers used 3.42 a lot for highway gear.

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
3:08 gear is a tall gear , higher top end, not quicker low end..... lower rpm at a higher speed = better mileage.

thats what i figured thanks

anyone got rough idea of the millage i'll be looking at i know im gonna looseing a few going from the 2.8l but oh well the jimmy has more hp and tourqe is a better motor so

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yea, that's a cruising rear, meant for highway speeds with little to no loads. It'll be awful to tow anything and will suck when taking off as that's a high gear. Newer blazers used 3.42 a lot for highway gear.
that's ok I do mostly highway driving and a bit off roading but my 2.8l drank the gas offroad like it was going out of style. and ive never towed anything with my 2.8l cuz it wouldnt tow much but like all we have is a tent trailer so.

Im not worried about not having much bottom end my 2.8l was all bottom end and it sucked like it would bury the needle but light tires a lot if I walked on her from a stop and the rears are now smooth well the summers are the winters have lots of meat but it not having any weight in the rear 4.11 gears and she just spin in the snow so more top end then bottom end is fine with me.

·
Registered
631 Posts
hey guys im getting a 91 gmc jimmy 4x4 auto with the 4.3l and it has 3.08 gears in it. is it gonna be geared so low it has a top speed of 120 kmh or is it just gonna come outta the whole like a dog with his ass on fire.
I don't know if this will help you much but my first s-blazer was a four speed manual with a 2.8 and 3:08's.I installed a 3:42 rear just to see the difference;yes the off line was quicker but at 70+ mph speeds the engine rpms was annoying and gas mileage went down. I would say consider the type of useage,if you are going to do alot of towing the 3:42's would be my choice but everyday use the 3:08's would offer some better gas mileage.

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ya the most it will be hauling is me and a buddy or two maybe camping stuff once in a while or hunting stuff so its gonna see mainly highway driving as i live outta town and off roading a bit but nothing to risk damaging it so it should be good to go

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
figure i will show you guys a picture once i get it here I will start a thread its gonna get a bunch of little tweaks to her and some cosmetics but no chrome.

my stereo going in there is all alpine which i have except front speakers

heres a link to some decals she will be getting later on.

http://www.decalking.com/store/product.php?productid=16199&cat=395&page=1

shes gonna get the 5 spoke mags ive got for her in the summer running the steels in the winter

·
Better post-em.
11,303 Posts
is there a code in the glovebox to tell what rearend you got? im curious as what my 92 4 door has...

doesnt seem to have as much off the line oomph as i think it should...(not used to V6's beside very occasionally driving my moms car. all ive owned up to this point is 4 bangers with manual trannys. )

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ya mine has one i havnt picked up the jimmy yet the guys holding it for till the first but its for sure mine um go onto a site called compnine enter your vin number it will tell you the gear ratio

·
ASE certified MasterTech
8,695 Posts
is there a code in the glovebox to tell what rearend you got? im curious as what my 92 4 door has...

quote]
GU4=3.08
GU5=3.23
GU6=3.42
GT4=3.73
GT5=4.10
HC4=4.56

G80 - locking differential
There ya go........

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
do you know which diff is the pozzy

·
ASE certified MasterTech
8,695 Posts
G80 as stated above.......
G80 is the rpo code for a locking differential, I have the G80 and 3:42's in my 03 ZQ8 S-10, my sons 1989 4wd Blazer also has the G80 and 3:42's.

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
ok i was talking like true all the time pozzy but ok the jimmy doesn't have it thanks

·
ASE certified MasterTech
8,695 Posts
GM did not make one like that, only the "Gov-lock" limited slip, built by Eaton if I remember right.

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
shitty

·
Open mouth, Insert foot!
312 Posts
Here enter in your V.I.N. It will tell you everything about your truck and it's rarity.
Comprehensive GM VIN Decoder

Here is an RPO decoder too. Take the numbers from the paper in your glove box and enter them in here, it tells you what you have.

RPO Decoder

1 - 20 of 35 Posts