S-10 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have an 88 4x4 4.3 TBI and an 89 2x4 4.3 TBI. I like the body of the 4x4 (extended cab crazy clean interior, motor and trans frankanstien togather) but the 2x4 runs like new (single cab long bed motor and trans fresh rebuild) can I take the motor and trans out of the 2x4 and throw it in the 4x4? A body swap for lack of other words

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No want 2wd basically trying to see if the extended cab short bed would fit on the single cab long bed... the motor and trans in the 4x4 was sitting out Mickey mouse and a trans slapped on there. The 2wd is in alot better shape running wise. But the body is messed up. So the 4x4 body on the 2x4 frame I guess. Idk how i would go about that if its possible

·
Been there Done it
9,246 Posts
No you can't swap bodies from one size to another. The wheelbases and the shape of the frames are different. Where they kick up for the box is different on each style. Even the crew cab which has the same wheel base as an extended cab has a different shape frame.
You can however swap the engines since both are TBI. The 2wd and 4wd have different oil pans and oil pump pickup tubes, but you could switch those while both are out.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok I see I've seen alot of posts on 2x4 to 4x4 swap but not much the other way around and the years being so close and same exact motor. Wasn't sure if it be an easy motor trans swap and good to go or it's more complicated. Dont care about 4wd working

·
Registered Hoosier
4,675 Posts
Looks like a regular cab long bed wheelbase is 5" shorther than an extended cab

·
Registered
845 Posts
These trucks are cheap and plentiful, although they're getting less common these days. You're WAY better off just buying the truck you want and selling the truck you don't want. if you want to stick with the same format you're used to, look for 93-94 that will have the counterbalanced engine. They're a LOT smoother.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts