S-10 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
ive got a 96 sonoma ext cab 4 banger i want to do about a 6 in lift and put 30 in tires on it. I plan to do a flipkit in the back and probably spindles upper control arms and 3" lift coils in the front. please make suggestions if this is not the way to go, and i also need help finding parts cheap also is this going to be too much tire for my motor to handle since it is the 4 cyl??

·
KING DORK
2,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think the tire size will be fine with that motor. You will lose acceleration, handling and top end but I dont think it will be that bad.

Im not sure if it is called CMT or something else that makes a lift for application.

I plan on doing the same setup plus if I can 2inch body lift.

·
Registered
211 Posts
some info...
there are a few types of lifts possible for a 2 wheel drive S-Series truck or Blazer. these include: Body Lift, Spindle Lift, and Coil Lift.
- Body Lift
made by : Performance Accessories and Trialmaster
cost: $100-$120.
Simple enough. the body of the vehcile is lifted off of the frame and rests on a urethane block or 'puck'. body lift kits are available in 2 and 3 inch sizes for 2nd gens. the 3" is only made for a limited range of model year. the kits come packed with all blocks, bolts, instructions, blocks to lift the front bumper and instructions on how to drill new holes to lift the rear bumper. this is a lift project easy enough for a novice in engineering. can easily be completed in an afternoon with the help of a friend. a tool you will need, but not limited to, is a floor jack and wood block to assist in holding the body up while the blocks are put in place. requires everyday tools. good lift for anyone wanting just a little more room for a bigger tire.

- Spindle Lift
made by: BullsEye, Fabtech(Bullseye), Procomp, AIM
cost: $300(spindles only)
simple concept. replaces stock spindle with one that is 3" longer, which in turn raises the front end 3". basic skills required, but more tools needed. retains stock ride characteristics. does not necessarily increase premature wear of components.
- Coil Lift
made by: Fabtech, AIM, California Super Trucks, and a couple other specialty fabricators
cost: $100+(coils only)
simple concept. replaces stock coils with longer ones. when using, 3" coils, new control arms must be installed. certain brands of coils..*cough..Fabtech..cough*..are known to be too stiff to use on s-series vehicles. many cases of ripping control arms off the frame are floating around the boards. this lift will make the ride more stiff. it will also increase the probability of front end parts wearing out prematurely and rapidly.

please note..increasing the height of your vehicle will directly affect the center of gravity. it does not necessarily make it unsafe; however, common sense must be used when driving vehicles as such.
lift size/tire size combinations following are based on 2nd gen. models.......aftermarket rims with a different backspacing may be required with some lifts.
*lift size: type of lift
tire size

on a 2nd gen:

*2" lift: Body Lift or Coil Lift
tire size: 30x9.5s or 235 75s
31s (will need trimming)
*3" lift: Body (limited year(s) with 2nd gen.)...Spindle...Coil
tire size: 30x9.5s
31s (rub without trimming)
*4" lift: 2" Body + 2" Coils
tire size: 31s
*5" lift: combinations including...
2" Body + 3" Spindle
2" Body + 3" Coils
3" Body + 2" Coils
2" Coils + 3" Spindle
32s (rub without trimming)
*6" lift: combinations including...
3" Body + 3" Spindle
3" Body + 3" Coils
3" Spindle + 3" Coils
tires size: 32s
33s (rub without trimming)
*7" lift: 2" Body + 3" Spindle + 2" Coil
tire size: 32s
*8" lift: combinations including...
2" Body + 3" Spindle + 3" Coil
3" Body + 3" Spindle + 2" Coil
*9" lift: 3" Body + 3" Spindle + 3" Coil
tire size: 33s

·
KING DORK
2,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
SWTexasBLAZER said:
some info...
there are a few types of lifts possible for a 2 wheel drive S-Series truck or Blazer. these include: Body Lift, Spindle Lift, and Coil Lift.
- Body Lift
made by : Performance Accessories and Trialmaster
cost: $100-$120.
Simple enough. the body of the vehcile is lifted off of the frame and rests on a urethane block or 'puck'. body lift kits are available in 2 and 3 inch sizes for 2nd gens. the 3" is only made for a limited range of model year. the kits come packed with all blocks, bolts, instructions, blocks to lift the front bumper and instructions on how to drill new holes to lift the rear bumper. this is a lift project easy enough for a novice in engineering. can easily be completed in an afternoon with the help of a friend. a tool you will need, but not limited to, is a floor jack and wood block to assist in holding the body up while the blocks are put in place. requires everyday tools. good lift for anyone wanting just a little more room for a bigger tire.

- Spindle Lift
made by: BullsEye, Fabtech(Bullseye), Procomp, AIM
cost: $300(spindles only)
simple concept. replaces stock spindle with one that is 3" longer, which in turn raises the front end 3". basic skills required, but more tools needed. retains stock ride characteristics. does not necessarily increase premature wear of components.
- Coil Lift
made by: Fabtech, AIM, California Super Trucks, and a couple other specialty fabricators
cost: $100+(coils only)
simple concept. replaces stock coils with longer ones. when using, 3" coils, new control arms must be installed. certain brands of coils..*cough..Fabtech..cough*..are known to be too stiff to use on s-series vehicles. many cases of ripping control arms off the frame are floating around the boards. this lift will make the ride more stiff. it will also increase the probability of front end parts wearing out prematurely and rapidly.

please note..increasing the height of your vehicle will directly affect the center of gravity. it does not necessarily make it unsafe; however, common sense must be used when driving vehicles as such.
lift size/tire size combinations following are based on 2nd gen. models.......aftermarket rims with a different backspacing may be required with some lifts.
*lift size: type of lift
tire size

on a 2nd gen:

*2" lift: Body Lift or Coil Lift
tire size: 30x9.5s or 235 75s
31s (will need trimming)
*3" lift: Body (limited year(s) with 2nd gen.)...Spindle...Coil
tire size: 30x9.5s
31s (rub without trimming)
*4" lift: 2" Body + 2" Coils
*5" lift: combinations including...
2" Body + 3" Spindle
2" Body + 3" Coils
3" Body + 2" Coils
2" Coils + 3" Spindle
32s (rub without trimming)
*6" lift: combinations including...
3" Body + 3" Spindle
3" Body + 3" Coils
3" Spindle + 3" Coils
tires size: 32s
*7" lift: 2" Body + 3" Spindle + 2" Coil
*8" lift: combinations including...
2" Body + 3" Spindle + 3" Coil
3" Body + 3" Spindle + 2" Coil
*9" lift: 3" Body + 3" Spindle + 3" Coil
tire size: 33s

Great post

·
Registered
211 Posts
picture in your head the inside of a rim.....the distance between the very outside edge of the rim and the inside middle part where the holes are for it to bolt up is the backspacing. you'll notice in looking at 4wd and 2wd trucks the difference in what kind of wheels can be used. some trucks are different, but the s10s and blazers are totally different by just looking. the backspacing on a 4wd s10 or blazer is much greater than a 2wd. notice the center of the rim where the bolt holes are is all the wa flush with the outside of the rim, and vice versa for a 2wd. the BS is much less and the mounting point has a deeper insert. this is needed for clearance purposes with driveline components.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Hey dbprecision, you thinking about going for a prerunner look instead of dropped? Personally, I love the appearance of a well-done prerunner, and you really don't need gigantic tires for it to look good. I saw some pics of some 3-6 inch lifts with the OEM 5-spoke rims, and they looked really great. I'd do that if I wasn't trying to sell my truck.

SWTexas: Thanks for that great info!

BTW: check out www.prerunners.net member's rides. Lots of good pics with all kinds of different setups to compare.

·
Registered
211 Posts
hey, my blazer is on that site somewhere

·
Mall wheeler
215 Posts
SOMEBODY PLEASE BUY MY 3" LIFT SPINDLES!!! THEY WILL FIT 83-02.

I need to get rid of them before I put them on and want to keep this POS 2.2L.

·
Mall wheeler
215 Posts
Sorry,............... SOLD

1 - 14 of 14 Posts