S-10 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
DELIBERATE DESIGNS
8,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to go take a look at a truck today and i had a ?

The guy actually has 2 trucks, one is a 98 4 cy. manual and the other is a 97 that is the exact same. Same paint engine and drivetrain. Both are std. cab short beds.

So the question is is that are they they same to bag? Because i know the earlier 2nd gens were a tad different then the later 2nd gens. I know the supension is the same on both but is there different clearence issues between the 2?

·
Can I get a hot tub?
2,676 Posts
not really. the 98 got the interior update as well as the newer front end. body wise they are exactly the same so you will run into the same problems with either one. just get the 98 since it is newer and probably has less miles. and enjoy good gas mileage with the 2.2 5 speed :tup:

·
Hello
11,397 Posts
they will be the same. the carrier bearing crossmember may be different, but 97's were goofy. some of them (like mine) have humps that stick lower than the frame, while others dont. all of the 98+ need a new carrier bearing crossmember though if you want to lay frame completely.

·
DELIBERATE DESIGNS
8,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay, I knew that the interiors were a lil different and deff the front ends. They have the same milage one them about. Like 180,000 all highway miles.

they will be the same. the carrier bearing crossmember may be different, but 97's were goofy. some of them (like mine) have humps that stick lower than the frame, while others dont. all of the 98+ need a new carrier bearing crossmember though if you want to lay frame completely.
Where would this Hump be located? Could get under and look for it maybe if i knew where it was?

·
Registered
347 Posts
I think you will also have to deal with relocating a fuse box on the newer truck that you don't have to do on the older one.

·
Registered
177 Posts
stick to the 98 more so with the 2.2, they did change the engine design, i had both, and 94-97 had a problem with cracking heads by the spark plug opening and spitting coolant( found out the hardway) and 98 now is still going strong and it has more miles on it then my 94 ever had and still passing gas stations, well more so dragging by them, :p

1 - 10 of 10 Posts