S-10 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was hoping someone in the paint/body world could help me with a problem. I have to have my grill and driverside headlight replaced, as some jerk-off hit my dime. It's a 2000 ext.cab. I took it to the body shop and they said that they could get me a paintable grill. So i ask to get it color matched to my truck they say no problem. The dude just calls me and says they can't get the "paintable" grill to fit(?) Are they not a body shop? and it's from the GM dealership(oem). So the guy goes to me "i can get you the non-paintable one instead" I ask him if it's paintable and he's all hums and haws and is like i will try to see what i can do. Can they be painted is my question, because there are lots of them done in members pics...and what about the "paintable one not fitting?...is this common?

·
How u riddin'
51 Posts
well i had the same problem and i had to get a new grille, mine was not the factory GM grille however, it was from a catalog. Well i did not come wilt the clips that hold it on to the core support so i had to take mine off my factory grille. I think the non paintable one are eather full chrome or some painted already, (ex.) mine came prepainted crome and gray, you just have to sand it and re prep it for painting. Some places can get grilles that are not painted at all and this would be considered "paintable", at least this is what i was told buy the guy who i got my grille from. Thought he was susposed to get me a full chrome and the company sent the wrong one so he called them and they said "oh we dome make the full chrome anymore"

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i am not looking for any chrome or anything just the "chrome" trim that splits the headlight/turn sig's the rest GM factory indigo blue...the grey oem one just fades and looks like s**t after about a year.

·
Texan by Marriage
127 Posts
I just ordered a new grill for my '98 from RockAuto not too long ago, and it didn't fit either. The curve back isn't steep enough, and it wasn't tall enough. When you got one side clipped on, the opposite side popped off - there was no getting both sides clipped in at the same time. I also had a 1 to 1.5" gap between the grill and bumper, and about a .75" gap between the grill and hood. I think someone gave the plant in Taiwan some bad measurements, or something - my bowtie didn't even fit :rant:

-sloe

1 - 4 of 4 Posts