S-10 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2000 white s10 with the LS package.
It currently has the front bumper and lower valance paint matched. Is this normal for the LS package?

I was looking around online and found many with an unpainted lower valance and body color bumper, only a handful of white ones though.

· Been there Done it
15,784 Posts
An awful lot of the unpainted valances are a result of it being replaced. Nearly every truck I've bought has had a damaged one.
I was under the impression that the LS bumper was the one with the rub strip and was chrome, although very little chrome actually shows. But I know there were a lot of exceptions to that. ZR2's are LS models and they have the blackish painted bumper and usually a blackish valance, but it's hard to tell because the off roading usually resulted in the valance being replaced. The thing I hate about the ZR2 is the bumper, valance and flares are all originally a slightly different color from each other. Then the GMC's painted all of it to match the body.
I've come to the conclusion the only thing LS really means is it has carpet not rubber flooring. But when buying a valance the replacement ones labelled LS usually mean for the rub strip style bumper. That valance mounts very differently to the bumper.

· Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the input. At least I know mine is likely the original bumper and valence then. I suppose how I paint the replacements can be my call then. I'll likely just match em like they were.

· B4U Task Force Admin
34,481 Posts
Thanks for the input. At least I know mine is likely the original bumper and valence then. I suppose how I paint the replacements can be my call then. I'll likely just match em like they were.
They were not painted from the factory. They were solid color all the way thru. What color are you looking for?

· time to get cereal
7,397 Posts
The valences are not painted... the plastic is dyed that color. You can easily tell one that has been painted because it flakes off eventually.

I have a chrome bumper with white valence that you can have for free if you come pick it up... you anywhere near St. Louis?

· Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Aha I see. After walking out and taking a quick look I see it's all white from the back side too. I figured painting the black texture wouldn't hold up.

I was looking for another white one. Mine isn't on too bad of shape. It's the steel bumper that looks the worst.

I'm a bit over 5hrs from St. Louis..

· Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'll check around there's bound to be something, maybe save me a paint job too.

Thanks for the help though, I'll keep my ear to the ground if anyone I know with an s10 wants the chrome bumper

· Been there Done it
15,784 Posts
Bumpers take and hold onto the paint much better than plastic. Don't be afraid to paint one.
It's the natural oil in plastics that causes the problems. Actually plastic is made from oil. Even the organic stuff is made from corn or soy oils.

· Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I've painted plastic bumper covers before, but it's the textured plastic that tends to cause issue, hard to prep if anything. I need to take a much closer look at mine, perhaps some time with a heat gun is all it really needs. As for the steel bumper I found a local listing for one, just waiting to see if they'll ever reply

· Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Did not see primed ones, but I admittedly cut my search short when I learned they're on amazon like everything else with free shipping. Glad I made a post before blindly buying parts though

· Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Felt the urge to update so I can show off my Dent Delete

I found a slightly used aftermarket bumper for $40 locally and had a friends body shop paint it.
$225 all in and I got it installed last night.

In the process I gave the lower valance a real good scrub, I think I can live with the damage that's on it now.

BEFORE:

AFTER:

Thanks for everyone's input, I probably gave more thought into it than was actually needed.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts